help no spark, unless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help no spark, unless...

im having an issue getting a proper spark, if i take a red/white wire from the cdi box, that im not sure where it belongs. Initialy it was connected to the starter side of the selenoid.

when i touch this wire to the selenoid i will get spark when i let off while its cranking and that is it i get no spark while turning cranking. i have been messing with this thing for weeks if u can give me any direction it would be great.

check out ur other post
    does that help at all?
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

im going to bypass the resistor in a bit and check that, i was hoping this explanation would give some more info about the issue, it just seems strange that it sparks only with crank and when the wire is released from power

Comment

bypast the resistor and still the same thing no spark while cranking tapped on cdi box to see if maybe there was something loose in there and still nothing have checked all connections and all seem good i am lost

Comment

The ballast resistor works by passing current
          through the wires while the engine is running at a lower voltage (i think its about 9volts but cant remember for sure.)
          When the starter is being cranked the resistor is by passed getting the full voltage from the battery.
          So by by-passing the resistor (joining the wires 2gether)
          you should get spark through out.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

A few questions ...
            Did you check the plug gap?
            Is the battery in good condition?
            Do you have the plug leads in the correct order?
            Did you check the condition of the pick up coil wires under the timing cover? Have you cleaned and checked all the wiring connections within the ignition system?
            Have you clipped off about 1/4 of an inch on and inch at the end of each plug lead?
            Why are you messing with the selenoid?
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

You have a problem with the primary wires. These are the red/white wires in the harness. I would try the kill switch first, make sure it's clean and the all the contacts are clean. You will ALSO need to clean ALL the connections, and put dielectric grease on them. The ground posts should have a product called "No-Ox" put on them. It's the opposite of the dielectric grease in that it will CONDUCT electricity. It works great on the ground wires!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The coils have gray - orange and 2 red/white wires into one red white wire. The red white wire is the power wire. should not be shorted to ground.
                Last edited by 62xs; 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

bubba;

You get ONE spark when you disconnect the red/white? Coils will do that, that's how they're designed to work, break the field = makes the spark. Same theory as contact breaker points.

The red/white from the solenoid to the TCI is the ballast bypass lead. Connect it back where it was. If you have already cleaned all of your connections as above, I would venture to say that you either have no pickup signal or your TCI needs work. Oh, and don't forget the pickup connector behind the fuse box.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                    YThe ground posts should have a product called "No-Ox" put on them. It's the opposite of the dielectric grease in that it will CONDUCT electricity. It works great on the ground wires!
                    Anti seize compound works surprisingly well for this as well. Also it is good in lieu of Teflon for single wire sensors in engines, since Teflon can possibly interrupt the ground path for the sensor.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

thank you all for the help i will try all the things that everyone has told me. the sad thing about this is i am a full time mechanic and can't figure this bike out for the life of me. i have a 71 handa cb350 that i bought two years ago that was in pieces and that thing runs like a top now. When i saw this bike i thought i would be able to fux it quick and easy. the guy said it need a fuse box come to find out i need carbs all the bowls are cracked and floats are gone and now this i had it running for like 2 mins then this happened i replaced the fuses with a circuit breaker stip thinking that would fix it. i was so wrong but agian thanks for the help.

bubba

Comment

Working...
                      X