True Barn Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Barn Find

Found an '80 sg in a barn, PO bought in '88, spent $500 having the 2nd gear fix done in '90, last rode it in '94, said he was stopped to make a left turn, and noticed in his rearview mirror, a lady coming on fast, as she didn't see him, said he gunned it to get out of the way and got clear but after that the bike started missing, figured he'd broke something, scared for his two small children possibly growing up without a father, he parked the bike, fast forward to 2009, he now has a nice 08 vulcan, wife has a suzy boulevard, son has a shadow. Got it for $100, will see what I can do to get it running, bike is completely stock & has ony 41,000. on it, just broke in good. (Didn't want to be outdone by TDodge7, LOL.) Later 'Dog

Originally posted by scalded dog View Post
    Found an '80 sg in a barn, PO bought in '88, spent $500 having the 2nd gear fix done in '90, last rode it in '94, said he was stopped to make a left turn, and noticed in his rearview mirror, a lady coming on fast, as she didn't see him, said he gunned it to get out of the way and got clear but after that the bike started missing, figured he'd broke something, scared for his two small children possibly growing up without a father, he parked the bike, fast forward to 2009, he now has a nice 08 vulcan, wife has a suzy boulevard, son has a shadow. Got it for $100, will see what I can do to get it running, bike is completely stock & has ony 41,000. on it, just broke in good. (Didn't want to be outdone by TDodge7, LOL.) Later 'Dog
    Congrats!

My bike has a little over 44k on it
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Andy, I have a little over 84,000 on my full bagger '79 standard, have another special, but pipes get glowing hot after about 5 mins ideling, still hadn't figured that one out, but getting ready to pull the head, also have a standard parts donor, and a midnight special parts donor. Later 'Dog

Comment

Cool. I wish I had a parts bike.

You could send me a standard seat pan and tank. lol
        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Andy, I have a little over 84,000 on my full bagger '79 standard, have another special, but pipes get glowing hot after about 5 mins ideling, still hadn't figured that one out, but getting ready to pull the head, also have a standard parts donor, and a midnight special parts donor. Later 'Dog
          Dog, have you checked your fuel/air mix? Running hot like that usually means running lean.
          1980 XS11SG
          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

gunned it to get out of the way and got clear but after that the bike started missing, figured he'd broke something,
            Probably just the pick-up coil wires. What a find!
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Andy, I have an '80 standard seat, I have a standard tank, it's a little dented, will check to see if it is savageable. we can probably work something out. Later 'Dog

Comment

Big D, I have actually ran these carbs and settings on my brothers '80 standard, they ran great. I 'm afraid I may have a dropped or stuck valve, but the '80 midnight special parts bike is where I got these, and even with a hole in the center of #2 piston, and a dropped valve it still ran and didn't get hot. LOL. But I am going to figure it out in time, for sure. Later 'Dog

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                  Probably just the pick-up coil wires. What a find!
                  Thats what I'm hoping, but it seems like I read something on here awhile back, where the pic-up fix isn't usually needed above '79 models. but will double check, Later 'Dog

Comment

Thats what I'm hoping, but it seems like I read something on here awhile back, where the pic-up fix isn't usually needed above '79 models. but will double check, Later 'Dog
                    I would think if anything would lessen the likelyhood it would be milage and not the year. Except perhaps the Maxim which I think I have read does all of its advancing in the TCI and nothing mechanical. I know I have read of others with 80 and 81 bikes that needed this repair. Some more than once!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

I read something on here awhile back, where the pic-up fix isn't usually needed above '79 models.
                      I've got a pair of '81 Hs that aren't supposed to need this "because they don't have vacuum advance mechanism that moves". They both have a vacuum advance mechanism that moves like every other model has, that mechanism is always moving, and I have done pick-up coil wires fixes on both of them, more than once.

Maybe yours is different. Maybe not. It only takes a few minutes to find out.

YMMV

And I'm still not typing fast enough!!
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

How usual?

Hi 'Dog,
                        nah, I had to fix those pesky wires on my '80 Special.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Stated cleaning on the special, I just found, 15 yrs is a long time for a bike to sit, one of the manifold bolts was broke off, drilled and extracted it, stock pipes look good, except the right pipe has some rust holes about the size of a pencil eraser in it, but toward the rear, air box was missing the snorkel, filter was completely full of leaves and pine staw, wire were chewed into, probably a rat nested in there, no brakes, right throttle was missing, replaced it, carbs are a mess, put another set on it, that are also suspect, lot of popping and spitting, pick-up coil neede a fix, rode up the road and back, but couldn't get above 40, it was spitting and popping, going to try another set of carbs off my brothers, '80 standard tommorow, know they are good, so this should eliminate the spitting and popping... update later. Later 'Dog

Comment

It's alive, plenty of power, my brothers carbs made it run great, except for some popping on the right side, still already had it cruising 65-70, got back checked the boots while idling, sprayed carb cleaner on the boots, #3 changed the idle, #1 changed it a little, barely noticeble, next will replace carb holders, to see if it will get rid of the popping...update later . Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
                            X