I just bought a xs and I have a question about the trurn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a xs and I have a question about the trurn signal

I just picked up the bike to day and I think there may be a problem with the turn signal

Both the left and the right lights turns on as normal but do not blink?

Is that right? If not what should I be looking for
    First Bike bought in 2008
    Yamaha 1982 XJ650J Maxim
    Just Bought Today 8May2009
    Yamaha 1980 XS1100LG Midnight Special

welcome to the forum,
    a cpl of things come to mind,
    the flasher unit could need replacing, located behind the
    right side cover, also if the battery is low or its not getting full voltage can cause the blinkers not to blink, put a volt meter across the battery and see what voltage readings you get.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I know that if one of the bulbs is not connected correctly, "not flashing" is a warning that the bulb is out. I had a loose connection on the left rear flasher, and it caused the rest of them to not flash.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

You could also have automotive lamps installed instead of the odd-wattage OEM ones. The car lamps don't put enough load on the flasher to make it work.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The switch connects under the tank. Follow your voltage back from the switch to this connector-all these connections eventually go bad and just need cleaning and the Dialectric grease . If you're at full volts at the switch, check the blinker unit as mentioned above.

I have the same problem but have gotten stuck on brakes for a few months (just not enough time for all the projects!). I'm getting 8 volts at the switch and 12.2 at the battery, so I know its the connector under the tank.
          1978 XS1100E "in progress"
          St. Petersburg FL

Comment

It is pretty common for the signals not to flash unless the engine is running well above idle. This is often a sign of a variety of dirty electrical connections throughout the bike. Start with each bulb socket, and work your way all the way back to the battery terminals. Pull apart and clean every connector, fuse mount, battery connection, and ground point. That will probably fix the problem. Properly clean, with a good battery, your signals will flash while you sit at idle waiting for a light to change.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Yes clean them properly.I took off the grounds on my bike last week and cleaned them really good with some fine sandpaper.Now when i start the bike and it idles-the signals blink until they turn off on their own.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
              X