Diaphram rubber shrinkage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaphram rubber shrinkage?

Bought complete rebuild kits for my 79 xs1100f. When reassembling, I noticed the diaphram rubber under the top cover has shrunk slightly. Can't get it to stay in place while I put spring and top cover on.
    Is there an adhesive or sticky grease I can use to keep it in the groove during reassembly?

I use just a LITTLE of the "non hardening" yamabond on about 4 points. it's just so you can hold it in place, but still remove it later without damage.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

When I last did this, I had the same problem, particularly on two of the carbs. I was really frustrated, trying to figure how to make it work. Finally, I got a jar of Vaseline, and applied copious amounts all way 'round, pressing contact area of the rubber (diaphragm) all way 'round. Wouldn't hold for long; had to get the "lid" on quick.
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Oldnorton - vaseline and rubber don't get along well - it makes rubber deteriorate. That's why your never supposed to use it with the other kind of rubber - fewer unwanted pregnancies that way .
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Try putting them in the frige for a while, getting them cold has always worked for me, but mine always seamed to expand after being removed from the carbs.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Vaseline

I was gonna make a smart answer to the Vaseline comment, but remembering that I am gonna be in Hurst next month.................well let's just say I don't want to give Kat (and my wife) any ammo.

Gawd, sometimes I am a sniveley little worm.
            Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
            1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
            1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
              Oldnorton - vaseline and rubber don't get along well - it makes rubber deteriorate. That's why your never supposed to use it with the other kind of rubber - fewer unwanted pregnancies that way .
              ............right; the Vaseline is a petroleum base. When I did this, my thinking was that the diaphragm, being where it's at, would have to be exposed to gas vapors, fog, fumes, i.e. all kinds of rigorous "petroleum" contact. Sooooo, I was thinking this diaphragm must not be 'rubber' material. (??) And, I was thinking "whatever" it is made of~~it likes petroleum......(???)
              JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
              7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Fuel line is rubberized and will handle gas too, but it's made out of different material than oil lines. Point being just because it stands up to gas vapors, doesn't mean it's going to stand up to vaseline. At $65 a pop for new diaphrams I wouldn't take the chance. My $.02

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  Fuel line is rubberized and will handle gas too, but it's made out of different material than oil lines. Point being just because it stands up to gas vapors, doesn't mean it's going to stand up to vaseline. At $65 a pop for new diaphrams I wouldn't take the chance. My $.02
                  Actually a lot of write-ups on working with the diaprams on CV carbs suggest grease to hold them in place while getting the cover on. I can't see vaseline being worse on the rubber than gasoline or regular grease.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

There are different kinds of grease as well, and the material I've seen suggest that silicone based grease would be a safer bet. Here's some material on rubber o-rings, but the principle should be the same. Now all we have to do is find out what the diaphrams are made of...

Comment

With all of this talk of rubbers, and diaphragms, and vaseline!!

Perhaps most of you folks are too young to be "intimately" familiar with this other product , but there's a water based LUBE called K-Y jelly, safe for all sorts of RUBBER products!

However, a technique that I've used is to put the slide/diaphragm in place as best I could, put the spring and then top cap on but turn it 45 degrees off position from where the screws line up, and you can slide it around off center to check and reposition the diaphragm as necessary, keeping the cap down tight enough to keep the rim down in the groove, until you're sure it's secured and flat, and then position for the screws, and put 2 opposing corners in finger tight first, and then the other 2. JAT.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yup. It is Friday. That is quit Freudian. TC probably has the infamous towel ready.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        With all of this talk of rubbers, and diaphragms, and vaseline!!

Perhaps most of you folks are too young to be "intimately" familiar with this other product , but there's a water based LUBE called K-Y jelly, safe for all sorts of RUBBER products!

However, a technique that I've used is to put the slide/diaphragm in place as best I could, put the spring and then top cap on but turn it 45 degrees off position from where the screws line up, and you can slide it around off center to check and reposition the diaphragm as necessary, keeping the cap down tight enough to keep the rim down in the groove, until you're sure it's secured and flat, and then position for the screws, and put 2 opposing corners in finger tight first, and then the other 2. JAT.
                        T.C.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
                          Try putting them in the frige for a while, getting them cold has always worked for me,
                          Say what? ;-)
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

I have experienced this on just about every set of carbs I have rebuilt. After trying many things; adhesives, etc. I found that if you fit then to the carbs where they go and use many fingers to hold it in place, after a minute or two, it will stay put long enough to quickly put the covers on.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I thought I said it all, but I'll try again. If the diaphrams haven't been out before they can be set in the groves pretty tight and will stretch just a little when removed, so that on reassembly they won't lay in the grove evenly making it hard to put the cover on without pinching the rubber. so if you freeze them a while 30 min. to an hour they will shrink down enough to fit in the grove better so you can get the cover back on with pinching diaphram.
                              Fastmover
                              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                              lion". SHL
                              78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                              X