Holy Jets Batman !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Jets Batman !

So finally my new 4 '45' Pilot Jets turn up - go to remove the old ones from my carbs and oh.....

... the ones I removed from the carb have 6 (or 3 depending on how you look at it ) holes drilled in the sides.

... the ones I ordered look the same, but don't have these holes.

So.... what should I do - try them anyway ? send them back ?

Any help most appreciated !

Thanks
    Chris
    XS1100 Powered Trike - 1980 engine ?
    (http://www.catdna.co.uk/album/slides/IMG_2984.JPG)

XS1100 F - with an SG engine

Aha - Just found the 'K&L Jet Controversy' thread - appears to be a vipers nest ! :-)

I'm going to send them back and get the correct ones (now I know what they are !) - although my carbs are running lean, I think the 'no-holes' jets might just push it too far the other way !
    XS1100 Powered Trike - 1980 engine ?
    (http://www.catdna.co.uk/album/slides/IMG_2984.JPG)

XS1100 F - with an SG engine

Comment

Good call. Get yourself some genuine Mik's and eliminate the uncertainty.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Cat - even with the Mikuni's you some times have different hole configurations than the 42.5's that probably came out. Mikes XS has the genuine article for $6 a pair.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

IIRC, I bleive I have read that recently the Mik's jets are not Mik jets. (Not Mikuni that is, could not resist). But they will be the right ones for our carbs. I have non Mikuni jets from a K&L kit I got off George Fix on ebay. And since I corrected my assembly feuxpas Mine runs awesome!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I just put a set of Mikes XS jets in Betsy, and they sure looked like Mikuni to me. I'm gonna crack my carbs once more this morning, and I'll take a closer look at the markings when I do. I can tell you this - they work, and the sizes are correct. Jet's-R-Us has 'em too (and they advertise them as "Genuine Mikuni"), but Mikes price is better. The 45's I got from Jets-R-Us look identical to the 47.5's I got from Mikes, but both of them have different hole configurations than the stock 42.5's.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Another deference I found in the jets is that there is two types with holes in them, one with the metering hole in the top ( these are for flat side carbs ) and the ones with the metering hole at the bottem ( these are for 34 or 38 mm CV carbs )
              1979 xs1100 f
              142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
              floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
              1978 gl 1000 goldwing
              1981 gl 1100 goldwing
              !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
              when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Working...
              X