carb leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb leaking?

so i hooked everything up, im not using hte octopus, i just capped the PRI port thingy on the petcock. so i went to start the bike, turned the petcocks to "ON" and started cranking, i dont have any filters on it no airbox. i noticed that ALOT of fuel was coming out from the end where the airbox goes on the 3rd and 4th carb. any ideas why?
    '79 XS1100SF

yep, probably leaking fuel between the needle and seat, either clean or replace.
    also check ur engine oil, sometimes the fuel flows forward and into the engine sump.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

try tapping on those two with a small hammer or wrench, in the float area.

I had a gusher the other day, cured it that way.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The issue is definitely fuel getting past the float needle valve. Crazcnuk has a great suggestion. If you have recentyl had the carbs off or drained, the floats drop a bit lower than normal and can get hung up on the gasket or the sides of the bowl. sometimes, tapping the bowl will free them up and let them pop up to shut off the fuel and work well from there.

If you are using automotive type fuel line, don't! That soft rubber lining inside will shred against the fuel line fittings on the bike and small pieces get into the float valve seat and stop it from seating. DAMHIK It is amazing how small a piece of crap can stop them from seating! You will then need to pull the carbs, clean those seats AND the fuel inlet T areas on both carbs. Ohhh...and do not skip the bench test. again DAMHIKIJK.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

If it's coming out of both carbs, it could be an obstruction in the vent line that #3 and #4 share. There's some weird physics going on inside the carbs, and that little jewel can be a real booger to track down. I have pod filters on mine, and had some small fuel filters installed on the ends of the lines to keep junk out. They were el-cheapo lawn mower filters with a paper element. They got clogged (or wet, which will screw up the paper element) and everytime I turned on the gas it poured out of the carb bells. Took the filters off and the leak stopped. DO NOT blow compressed air down the vent lines with the bowls attached - the increased air pressure will squeeze the brass floats. My $.02
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

yeah, i had jsut taken them apart to clean, so ill give that hammer trick a try and go from there.

You are are great, any questions or concerns i have you guys give me answers hella quick. I just wanted to thank you guys
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

JC - if you use a hammer, make sure it's a rubber hammer and don't beat it to death - just a few sharp taps. Hitting that old aluminum with steel is a bad idea. If the problem persists on both check the vent lines. When stuff starts happening in pairs, it always makes me go 'hmmmmmmm', and 3 & 4 share a vent line.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Try a big screwdriver handle or wood dowel,they wont damage your carbs.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                X