X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jardine Exhaust

Hey fellow XSives,

I have two questions to ponder:

1. I see Jardineproducts.com sells a replacement 4 into 2 exhaust system for our bikes, but I noticed that instead of headers 1 & 2 exiting the left, they have headers 1 & 4 exiting, with 2 & 3 exiting the right. This follows with the coil wiring, is there some performance advantage to this arrangement?

2. I am running straight pipes, and my bike runs well and I like the loud sound. It is especially helpful here in Texas when all I have around me are 4-wheel drive diesel "dualie" pickups who "can't" see me! But when I let off the throttle, (which is seldom! ) the pipes "pop" a lot on decelleration. I have the original air box. Is this OK and normal, or do I need a little backpressure?

Ride safely folks,

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

The "poping" is often an indicator that you have an exhaust leak. Air can enter and cause ignition of unburned fuel in the pipes.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Possibly where the slip-ons meet the "Y" pipes?
      Gone but never Forgotten:
      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
      2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
      2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

The '1-4 right, 23 left' setup (following the coils like you said) allows for better scavaging on the exhaust gasses. The ehhaust pulse from the cylinder helps to 'drag' the next cylinders exhaust pulse. The susyem also has a crossover between the mufflers that does the same thing between the two sides where the (needed) backpressure is. This crossover provides lower RPM 'oomph' .
        I have these pipes on my 78 E and they're great performance wise. I have found I have slightly less cornering clearance than with stock. I also have to modify the left mounting bracket on my 3 point caseguards (the 2 point fit fine).
        I hope this helps.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
        X