changing the valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the valve cover gasket

i know this sounds like a simple process.this is my first time changing the valve cover gasket on my xs1100 special.looks like a little bit of a oil leak.should i just cleanup and re apply gasket sealer.some of those screws look tough to get at.anybody have
    tips and what to look for and how long of a job is it.thanks blackdawg
    BLACKDAWG

valve cover

Hi Blackdawg, a regular allen wrench will get at all the valve cover bolts without too much trouble. I always take off the gas tank, horn assembly, and the electrical thing (forget what it is called) on the bottom of the upper left frame rail. Just to get extra clearance to work on the cover. I usually use non hardening Permatex on both sides of the gasket when re assembling. Never had any leaks, and it doesn't seem to make it any harder to get the cover off later. Once you have the cover off, though, it's a good time to check valve clearances to see if they are OK, and correct if necessary before putting the cover back on. You are looking at 2 to 3 hours for the whole thing. If you need some valve shims let me know, I have a few, I don't think you live too far from me.
    Leo
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1197cc Wiseco kit
    1978 cams
    4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
    Keihin CR33 mm carbs
    K&N individual pod filters
    TKAT fork brace

Comment

A 5-6 inch long, 5mm hex driver works very well for gewtting most of the bolts out, except the very front and rear center bolts. You will need an Allen wrench for that. If you are unamiliar with a hex driver, it is a long Allen wrench with the short side removed, and the long portion is inserted into a socket, and is driven with a ratchet.
      here is some pics of them:
      http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store
      http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...select=&page=2
      Last edited by John; 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

When I do mine I use a 5mm cut down allen wrench stuck in the end of a 5mm 1/4" drive socket. Most of the time I only use the small end, but there are some bolts on the bike that the long one reaches easier (that's the best cut-in-half tool I own ). A 1/4" drive works better as it's smaller than a 3/8" drive, and makes it easier to maneuver in the somewhat confined space. Make sure your gasket surfaces are clean, and that there are no pieces of gasket on either surface. Lay rags over the valves and the chain tunnel to prevent little bits of gasket from falling in those areas. A small amount of permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket surface will help it to seal - too much and it's going to squeeze out all over the place making a mess. I would use a pair of rubber gloves and put a thin coat on with my fingers. That too is kind of messy, but at least the mess stays off the bike. When you put it back on torque it in a two step process (I always start at the middle and work out in a diagonal pattern). First torque to 3.6 foot pounds, then do the final torque at 7.2 foot pounds. Takes me about 1 1/5 to 2 hours, but I have oil hoses I have to deal with. Expect it to take longer - the first time always does .
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

1 1/5 to 2 hours
          One and one fifth huh?? lol.

Two hours seems like an aweful long time to do this to me.. but I guess there's times that the gasket is stuck and you have to do a lot of scraping first..

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            One and one fifth huh?? lol.

Two hours seems like an aweful long time to do this to me.. but I guess there's times that the gasket is stuck and you have to do a lot of scraping first..

Tod
            Or a lot of beer drinking, but you wouldn't know anything about that, now would you?

Comment

R&R just under an hour here.

Can you get real beer over the counter at a convenience store yet in OK ?

It drove me to drinkin liquor when I lived there.
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by blackdawg View Post
                i know this sounds like a simple process.this is my first time changing the valve cover gasket on my xs1100 special.looks like a little bit of a oil leak.should i just cleanup and re apply gasket sealer.some of those screws look tough to get at.anybody have
                tips and what to look for and how long of a job is it.thanks blackdawg
                okay guys thanks for all your help !!!....... And to think i"m changing the pipes as well.louder is better ha ha
                BLACKDAWG

Comment

One and one fifth huh?? lol
                  You make one typo and they're on you like ugly on an ape - meant to say 1 1/2 hours - I 've got a couple oil lines that run from the cooler across the top of the valve cover, so I always have to deal with banjo fittings and crush washers. I'm not a fast mechanic, and I'm not a slow mechanic - I'm a half-fast mechanic .
                  Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-07-2009, 06:03 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                    I'm not a fast mechanic, and I'm not a slow mechanic - I'm a half-fast mechanic .
                    Good one! lol.

Blackdawg, if you spray the new gasket on both sides with Pam cooking spray, it won't stick next time you have to open 'er up again. Smells kinda funny for a day or two after running engine though, lol. JAT
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

On both of my bikes the gasket is bonded to the cover and pops off the cylinder head very easily so there's not much chance of damaging that gasket when doing under the cover work. I don't know if that's a factory set up or just the way they end up over time. So, I would use a product that will bond the gasket to ether the cover or the head but not both so that the next time your under there the gasket will not likely get damaged. Use a torque wrench on the bolts and tighter them in a pattern that keeps the cover flat as you torque it down like you would if torquing down a head. The torque value is low so check your manual.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

1 1/5 hours....I figured Doug was just showing us how precise he is in his work. Like two steppin a 7.5 ft lb torque. Even an enginerd like me just hand tightens then torque to spec. Its good to know I am not the MOST anal retentive person around!
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Can you get real beer over the counter at a convenience store yet in OK ?
                          Ummm.. That would be a negative. Why do you think I ambush John and Kat's garage whenever big mechanical things need done.. or small things.. or.. well. you get the idea. .lol. John's always giving me crap for spending $30 in gas to come drink $10 worth of free beer.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yeah, but nothing tastes as good as a free one - or ten

Comment

Working...
                            X