?Front Master Cylinder Reassembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?Front Master Cylinder Reassembly?

Is this the correct order? Snap ring, washer, piston, rubber cup facing this way [ , and then small tapered/capped end of spring
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Part of the answer is here, in the tech tips.

HTH
    Ken Talbot

Comment

that looks good to me,
      but i thought the spring might go the other way?
      i dont have 1 apart atm,
      have a look in the bore and see if its raised at the bottom for the spring to sit in, if it isnt raised and the larger end of the spring fits neatly against the seal id put it in the other way.
      im sure some1 will chime in and know for sure.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I just did mine that way. Seems to be working fine. BUT I am an old rookie here.
        Bothell, WA
        1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
          that looks good to me,
          but i thought the spring might go the other way?
          i dont have 1 apart atm,
          have a look in the bore and see if its raised at the bottom for the spring to sit in, if it isnt raised and the larger end of the spring fits neatly against the seal id put it in the other way.
          im sure some1 will chime in and know for sure.
          yeah, that's the way it's sitting together right now. it seems like it fits better. if I don't get anyone telling me it's wrong by this afternoon that's the way it's staying.
          1980 XS11SG

Comment

Big - by the parts fiche that looks correct. Here's a pic (sorry for the small size, but if you do a 'ctrl +' it will enlarge) -
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Yeah. The wide end of the spring goes down in the bore of the MC. That seats in the bottom of the bore, almost exactly the same diameter as the hole itself. That is the case for all the MC kits.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I've put it together the way it is in my earlier picture but the lever either isn't returning or it takes 10 minutes or so. Because of this I can't bleed it.
                1980 XS11SG

Comment

Big - You have to be careful when you're bleeding not to pull the lever back to far. It's recommended that you put a 2 X 4 between the brake lever and the handlebar for this procedure. Pull it too far and that middle seal (you know - the one that's difficult to get on the plunger) and it can come unseated. JAT

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

thanks d, that was the main reason I disassembled it in the first place, I did that and it wouldn't bleed, then It was packed full of grit and sludge. I put it together, filled it up with fluid and got the fluid to circulate and lube up the rubber pieces, now it works great!
                    1980 XS11SG

Comment

Big - glad you got her nailed down.

Comment

Working...
                      X