#3 carb still dead at idle /low rpm, info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 carb still dead at idle /low rpm, info please

According to my colortune plug the #3 carb is still not allowing fuel into the cylinder until I really crack the throttle. While watching the colrtune at idle I tried a short spray of carb cleaner into the air intake manifold and where the pilot needle screws into. After doing this the at either place the #3 carb would kick in for a few seconds then quit again. I am wondering if the slide is sticking in #3 or the diaphram is shot or the spring is to weak or to strong, or maybe somehow the needle is not set at the same height as the other 3 carbs, or I still have some crud hiding somewhere in one of the idle circuit passages? I have bought my XS some techron and some seafoam hoping this may cure my problem, I mixed exactly per the instructions, should I mix it stronger to start with? Any suggestions or help of any kind with this problem would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, JC
    JC

Re: #3 carb still dead at idle /low rpm, info please

Originally posted by jchigbee
    or I still have some crud hiding somewhere in one of the idle circuit passages?
    Thanks, JC
    Bingo - give that man a ceegar.....
    You're going to have to strip that carb down and clean it (again?) at least once more. Then you may have to do it another time. Then quite possibly another time after all those other times too. The phrase "triple clean" is not just something that somebody dreamed up - it is a fact of life for many XSives. Techron and seafoam are good, but nothing will replace the physical act of totally disassembling the carb, poking a cleaning wire through every orifice, and making sure you can blow compressed air through every passage. Keep us posted..
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I had the same problem. Found it like you did with a Colortune. I suspected a bad pilot jet (got fire after 4200 RPM at which time it transitions to the main jet). I moved the jet to another carb and the problem followed. New pilot jets, problem fixed......in my case.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Same thing happened to me.....
        What I found was the pilot jet on the involved carb was completely plugged with goo. This happened after the second cleaning.... leaving the 3rd and final cleaning to get it all right.
        1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

in my case the jet itself was stuck in the carb so tight that I couldn't get it out the 1st time I cleanesd the carbs. I used an easy-out to remove it and move it to a different carb. Bought a new set of jets.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Make sure you remove the needle jets and clean in that area too.
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
            1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
            2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
            1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
            2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Thanks for the info everybody, wasn't what I wanted to hear, but is what I expected to hear. So back to the shop to pull the carbs one more time only, I hope. I will let you know when I know exactly what the problem was. Thanks again for everyones help / input it is greatly appreciated!!
              JC

Comment

Working...
              X