emergency stop switch-tip over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency stop switch-tip over

Hello i just got my tip over switch from E-bay and it is brand new-the problem-there is no where to plug it in and i don't know what happened to the wires where it connects to.Where would the 2 terminal connection join in the harness?Looked at a wiring diagram and see that a 79 SF and a F and G all have the same connection.Don't know how it was bypassed and i have to fab a mount where it goes because the mount is not there.It is supposed to connect looking at the manual opposite the headlight relay.Any idea?
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

It mounts under the tank, behind the head light relay, and is cradled in a rubber housing. It should say 'UP' on one side of it, if I remember correctly.

Comment

I have the switch-but there is no way to connect it.I can take off the connector from a spare wiring harness but where does it connect to-where does it eventually lead to?
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Peter,

It's the black/white from the TCI. The tipover switch will ground that wire to shut down the TCI.

Comment

So basically looking at the wiring diagram there should be a black wire and a black/white wire that the switch plugs into?How do you think it was bypassed?What would happen if they were connected together? would that disable switch?What would happen if they were cut and the ends were tapped separately?I see nothing on my harness that would indicate the wire was there.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

If the ends were taped separately, your bike wouldn't run. So they must be spliced together. Keep looking, they have to be close by the switch location.

Comment

Will look this weekend.I want to put on my switch and this is frustrating.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                If the ends were taped separately, your bike wouldn't run. So they must be spliced together.......
                I might be wrong (wouldnt be the first time) but as i understand it the tipover switch works by earthing (grounding) out the ignition circuit on tipover, in which case the wires must be seperate for the bike to run, splicing them together would short out the circuit and stop the bike dead in it's tracks.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

bwalker,

You are absolutely correct, I don't know what I was thinking when i wrote that!

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                    bwalker,

You are absolutely correct, I don't know what I was thinking when i wrote that!
                    I thought I smelled brains.

Comment

No, that was not brainsbut it was steaming!

Comment

OK today i took off seat and tank and looked for the wires in the harness.I had a spare harness from a 79 SF(?) and saw that the 2 wires i need were next to the right side horn wires.So i took the tape on the right side of the harness off and saw a black wire and a white/black wire.I gently tugged at those wires and they were under some tape.I attached the wires to my connector using butt connectors and attached switch.I started bike and took switch and turned it on its side and bike shut off like it is supposed to.I wrapped the wires with electrical tape and put seat and tank back on and took a short drive.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Good job tracking down the circuit!

Now, without spilling too much fuel, take the bike out on the lawn or somewhere else soft and safe, start it up and lean it over on its side so you will know how far the bike has to lean to make the switch shut off the engine. If you don't want to do that, I have: several large parts would have to be below grade in a corner before the tipover switch could kill the engine. I haven't had any problem on the street.

I have seen a couple of magazine articles with pictures showing some bad highside accidents caused by a tipover switch killing and restarting the engine during hard cornering in a race.

Be careful.

Regards,

Scott
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

The spec on the switch is 60 degrees. That's pretty damned steep. I was standing next to the bike once and lost the balance, but caught the bike and slowly laid it down. Bike was practically flat on the pavement when the kill switch kicked in, but it did work.

Comment

Working...
                            X