No announcement yet.

All lights just quit after hooking up fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually found that info on this very site. It was at the end of a long detailed write-up about the history of this fairing, as well as others.

Here is the link.

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    Looks like the proper doc!! It matches what I've got in the fairing. I'm NOT going to pull the fairing to verify the bike side, but it sounds correct.
    Here is what I have:
    inside fairing________Bike___________Signal
    Black----------------Black------------Ground
    Yellow---------------Green-----------Low Beam
    White---------------Yellow-----------High Beam
    Light Green----------Blue-------------Running Lights
    Purple---------------Dark Green-------Left Turn
    Light Blue-----------Brown------------Right Turn
    • 1979 XS1100SF Special Hybrid

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Comment

Let's go back for a second to the start. When you checked the fuses, did you grip the metal ends and try to pull them apart from the glass body of the fuse? Or, did you just hold them up to the light for a visual check to see if they were burned out?
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Not sure I understand that question, but I can tell you how I checked the fuses.
        I checked them the same way I also check wire continuity. With my ohm meter.
        I should also point out that these are NOT glass fuses but rather blade automotive fuses.
        There is one glass fuse in the fuse box. It tested fine though.

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
        Let's go back for a second to the start.
        When you checked the fuses, did you grip the metal ends and try to pull them apart from the glass body of the fuse? Or, did you just hold them up to the light for a visual check to see if they were burned out?

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Comment

That helps clear it up. Glass fuses, especially old glass fuses, are prone to coming apart or corroding under the metal end caps. They will look okay visually, but until you give them a good tug, you won't know of the hidden problem. Having spade type fuses cuts off that line of thought.

Hmm, what next...
          Ken Talbot

Comment

That's a good looking fairing, and with all the parts too! You made a good find with that one, usually they have been striped out and sold piece by piece. Must not of been on Ebay. Enjoy!
            Fastmover
            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

Actually it WAS on ebay. The seller was located 5 hrs away and I believe it was worth the drive. (over shipping costs lol)

Yeah it looks great. And I'm anxious to install it.
              But more important now is to get the lights working again so I can even ride the thing.

Got our first good weather this weekend... and I hear all the bikes on the road... all but mine of course

I'm looking under the gas tank today if I'm lucky.
              Hope there's nothing I can't deal with in the removing of it.

Thanks to all for your help.

EQ

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
              That's a good looking fairing, and with all the parts too! You made a good find with that one, usually they have been striped out and sold piece by piece. Must not of been on Ebay. Enjoy!

Comment

Believe me I know the feeling, although I've been riding mine, I reinstalled the air forks caps and did some touch up painting on the bar raisers yesterday. Then just as I was going for a ride this morning I discovered I had accidentally pulled the radio wire loose and had to pull the seat and tank to fix the problem, so now the day is half gone and I'm still in the driveway.
                Fastmover
                lion". SHL
                78 XS1100e

Comment

Heck I would have said "screw the radio" and kept riding lol.
                  One of these days I guess I will look into installing a radio myself.
                  Right now I found a great deal on a 2 way intercom kit for driver and rider and it plugs into my MP3 Player.
                  Voice activation on the mics cuts out the radio if someone speaks. Kewl stuff. And CHEAP TOO!

EQ

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
                  Believe me I know the feeling, although I've been riding mine, I reinstalled the air forks caps and did some touch up painting on the bar raisers yesterday. Then just as I was going for a ride this morning I discovered I had accidentally pulled the radio wire loose and had to pull the seat and tank to fix the problem, so now the day is half gone and I'm still in the driveway.

Comment

Nothing new located in my search

Okay guys, I'm stumped now.
                    I searched everything for bad grounds, bad connections, etc.
                    I tested the wires which should be carrying a current but are not.
                    I think it must be down to something being burned out.

Is there something, maybe one of those little boxes around the fuse box, that could cause this sorta problem if it burned out or started failing?

What else could be the problem??

EQ

Comment

THANKS to WA407MPP

WA407MPP I can't thank you enough for helping me fix that electrical problem over the phone. And for all the extra info you provided me.

I won't forget it.

EQ

Comment

The Cure

What was it?

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Your welcome Phil, glad I could help. 3phaze, It was one of the two plugs under the tank on the left side, they share the headlights and turn signal connections and are real easy to unknowingly unplug when working on the wires down the line, there is also one on the right side too that connects the Ignition and kill switch wires, that will do the same thing. They don't have to come apart all the way to cause problems. It can happen real easy when removing the handlebars from the triple clamps without pulling the controls first.
                          Fastmover
                          lion". SHL
                          78 XS1100e

Comment

Thanks, Steve!
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                            X