Gear Oil Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Oil Question

So I should probebly know this, but how often do I need to drain and re-fill the gear oil, and pump some grease into the grease fitting? Every year..? Hopefully not, or I have really neglected my baby. 1982 xj1100
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

If you use a synthetic oil, like Red Line, every other year should be OK. The grease fitting DOES NOT DO ANYTHING, so you need to pull the final drive and grease the splines by hand every time you change the tire. I change the middle and final drive oils about every 25K miles.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by frogdink View Post
      So I should probebly know this, but how often do I need to drain and re-fill the gear oil, and pump some grease into the grease fitting? Every year..? Hopefully not, or I have really neglected my baby. 1982 xj1100
      Hi Frogdink,
      I dunno what the XJ book sez but Clymer's XS11 book sez change middle & final gear lubrication every 5,000 miles or 12 months.
      Also, the XS11's final drive grease fitting is a snare and a delusion and the XJ's may be too. Grease pumped through it lands on the outside of the female half of the spline and cannot get to the spline itself where it's needed.
      Take off the 4 nuts and remove the final drive unit so you can pack the spline's innards with grease. Watch for the coil spring that's in there.
      Doing this every time you fit a new tire is about the right interval and means that the wheel is off anyway.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah, I definetly havent done any of that, so thats good to know. Thanks guys.
        1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
        1974 RD200
        1975 xs500
        1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Just be sure you don't over-fill them when you change the oil. Be re to do one of two things:

Either use the tech tip to make yourself a dip stick to measure the oil level (or buy one from yamaha)
          Or, measure out the correct amount before you add it.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

The folks that have done several all say that if you over fill the middle or even the final drive, it just spits out the vents a little till it gets down to the optimum level. I've changed mine in the final drive and checked the middle drive. I just used a piece of cardboard as a dipstick and measured how far form the top of the flanges the oil was. Not a tough thing to figure out really. And aside form leaving them low which could ruin your day or week, its not that critical to get the level exact.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

There is a proper level... but both the middle and final drives have vents that will blow off the excess if you over-fill. The book tells how many ounces. Drain them, then use an old measuring cup to get the right amount in.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I've got a question for all you guys, I need to know what type and amount of oil to put in the middle and final drive gears? I inherited a 1979 xs1100 special about four years ago and have never changed the gear oils. I've put less than 2,000 miles on the bike since I've had it. I sold my other bikes, decided to keep the xs. Now I'm really into bringing it back to full roar. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it and has been always kept in a garage. should I really change the gear oil every year?

Comment

The bike only has 10,000 miles on it and has been always kept in a garage. should I really change the gear oil every year?
                  If you use a "synthetic" gear oil, NO. I change mine out about once a year, but that is about 25K miles. The synthetic will go two years, as long as you ride it for at least 45 miles every three months or so. That is what will keep the water out of the oil.
                  I use Red Line 85W90 in all my bikes. I've NEVER had any problems with the middle or final drives. One bike I got with about 40K, it now has 103K on it.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Not going to get into another oil thread "My oil is better than your oil" thing, but it is HIGHLY advised to use synthetic gear oil (Brand of your choice) in the middle and final drives.. but not in the engine oil. It's too slippery for the clutches generally.

One thing I will caution though... make sure you break the allen filler screw loose BEFORE you drain the gear oil. They get stuck really bad at times and I'd hate for you to have to turn your bike upside down to fill it back up.

Actually... I'd kind of like to see that! Could you take some pics if you do??

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own