Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Diaphram help needed?

OK......
    I am rebuilding a rack of XS1100 carbs circa 1979 (they appear... ) and replacing the Diaphrams got off of fleabay. The instructions warned me to mark the locating tab molded in the rubber and the relationship of it on the slide. I thought I had however while disassemblig the plastic that the rubbers mount on are moveable?
    The only thing I can see that I think would matter is where the hole in the slide is?I need to know the relationship of the hole in the slide to the air flow into the filter side of the carbs so I can get mine right.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this is One of the few remaining steps other then coming up with or repairing/fabricating fuel and vent tees but thats another story....

Thanks...
    George
    1980 XS1100 special
    4 to 1 Kerker exhaust
    120 mph speedo.
    1979 carbs jetted 147 mains
    47 idle

1980 XJ 650

Originally posted by greengoon3 View Post
    OK......
    I am rebuilding a rack of XS1100 carbs circa 1979 (they appear... ) and replacing the Diaphrams got off of fleabay. The instructions warned me to mark the locating tab molded in the rubber and the relationship of it on the slide. I thought I had however while disassemblig the plastic that the rubbers mount on are moveable?
    The only thing I can see that I think would matter is where the hole in the slide is?I need to know the relationship of the hole in the slide to the air flow into the filter side of the carbs so I can get mine right.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this is One of the few remaining steps other then coming up with or repairing/fabricating fuel and vent tees but thats another story....

Thanks...
    George
    If they are like the newer carbs, the hole in the slide goes so that it is at the furthest point from the inlet, and closest to the butterfly. Apparently if you get it anywhere else the amount of vacuum applied to the hole is incorrect and the slides don't rise to the right spot causing serious performance problems DAMHIK.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

thanks Cy,
      thats got me thinking, I replaced mine a little while ago, tho i marked them i was pretty slaphappy in lining the tabs up, something ill need to recheck.

George,
      from reading your other post, are the slides all the same?
      how are you going about replacing the diaghrams?
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
      X