To buy or not to buy 79 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy 79 XS1100

So there's a guy who lives pretty close to me that has a 79 XS1100 for sale.
    He's not asking a lot of money for it and has a bunch of extra parts and luggage for it as well.

Here's the hitch. He says the trans will need to be replaced.
    I haven't ventured into transmission troubles in any of my bikes thus far.
    So, I turn to you seasoned veterans to inquire what level of expertise, special equipment and tools etc. etc. would be involved in doing a job like that or getting a mechanic to do it for me.

I plan on seeing the bike this evening and will bring my camera to take pictures of what I see.

More later.
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

If you go to the "tech tips", you can find the thread on the transmission repair. Most of the time you don't need to remove the engine or split the cases! The "second gear fix" is about an eight hour job, plus some "grinding time" on the gears. If the bike is cheap, go for it! With the extra parts, you can probably get some of the money back through ebay!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Definitely! If it's cheap, the fix is relatively easy. Just don't tell the seller that!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

by all means buy it the economy needs a boost.. just kidding, but for me restoring one of these is good therapy
        Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
        XS1100LG Precious current
        XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
        KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

If you need a hand flipping that old gal over, or just an extra set of eyes, drop a line.
          1980 XS 1100 Standard
          1980 XS 1100 Special
          1982 XJ 1100
          1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Also, don't know if you saw it, but this one was posted the other day and it is right here in Evanston:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22217

I thought about picking it up, but I don't have room in the garage at the moment. From the picture, it looks like that is the bulding where Sheridan hits South Boulevard. It will also probably need some work, but maybe a bit less.
            1980 XS 1100 Standard
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1982 XJ 1100
            1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

I just got back from checking out the bike and I'm in.
              Deal was sealed with a handshake and I'll most likely be picking it up this weekend. The seller is a really nice guy who (since we're so close geographically) even offered to come over to help me replace the trans and do anything else I might need a hand on too. Speaking of which, Dan, there will be some beers to be had in my backyard for sure.

He's got the whole touring package and a bunch of extra parts as well.

I'm so glad that I found this one and am really happy to actually be 'home' again with the rest of you wrench heads.

Here's some pictures I took of it in the garage.
              The flash is less than flattering, but I think you can still get the gist of it.

Couple questions after the first once over.
              My eye might be off, but the rake looks more like a special to me.
              The pipes also appear to be special as well.

Comment

Congrats on a nice lookin bike! Hopefully it just needs the gears fixed as seems to be the norm for these bikes!

Those pipes do look like they are "special" as in they stop short of the rear axel which is a mark of the Special model IIRC. Not sure on the rake issue. I was not aware that the rake changed but I have read on more than one occasion about special versus standard triple trees though. The forks are definitely standard though as is the rest of the bike to my eyes anyway.
                Last edited by DGXSER; 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

The pipes are from a Special, or an 81 Venturer, but the forks are from a Standard.

Comment

Headlight and gauge cluster are standard too.
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by buickyouth View Post
                      Couple questions after the first once over.
                      My eye might be off, but the rake looks more like a special to me.
                      The pipes also appear to be special as well.
                      Hi Buickyouth,
                      Standards and Specials have the identical steering head angle (aka rake) of 29.5ยบ and the identical steering trail of 5.12" The Standard's under the slider axle and longer 'trees vs the Special's front of the slider axle and shorter 'trees are strictly cosmetic differences.
                      Yeah, looks like a Spacial exhaust. At least you can remove the rear wheel without needing that wire rat-trap thingie to compress the rear suspension.
                      BTW, what diameter rear wheel does it have? Standard = 17"; Special = 16"
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Nice bike,
                        that'll clean up nicely.
                        It all looks like a stock standard,
                        other than the exhaust.
                        Last edited by petejw; 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM. Reason: speln
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Everything is moving along as expected and I'll be picking the bike up this Sunday!

Comment

Working...
                          X