Lockhart Oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockhart Oil cooler

I'm looking to install a used Lockhart oil cooler on my 80SG. It is just an adaptor plate that fits between the oil filter cup and the case, with lines to take the oil up through a radiator/cooler. I am looking for a replacement O ring flat gasket that seals the adaptor to the case. Anybody familiar with this system that can tell me where this O ring can be purchased? Thx Rick
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Mine is the same as what is used on the filter housing.
    I just rotate the old filter ring to the plate when I do a filter change.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

Thanks, but..

I wish. This O ring/gasket is a 6" flat O ring about 3/16ths wide and 1/8th thick. It's also a grey colour similar to ones used in high heat applications. The groove in the adaptor matches it exactly. Thx Rick

Comment

Hey Daddy Funk,

It's most likely NOT a flat O-ring, at least it wasn't when it was new!

If you look at the Oil filter cup, it has the same square cut groove, and uses an O-ring, but folks find they get flattened after a while, which is why they supply a new one with the new oil filter.

I have a supply of thicker O-rings that I provide with my SOFA/SOFCA's that I occasionally sell, and would be willing to mail you one so you can try it to see if it will fit and work for you!? Drop me a PM, and send me your snail mail and I can get one to you in the mail ASAP! I get them from McMaster-Carr,
        Here are the specs:
        1/8"/0.125"/3.175mm thick 4-5/8"/4.609"ID

Buna-N Oring Hard 70:AS568a / 9452K197 250deg. 25 pk/$9.30...now $7.25
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle !

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Daddy Funk,

It's most likely NOT a flat O-ring, at least it wasn't when it was new!

If you look at the Oil filter cup, it has the same square cut groove, and uses an O-ring, but folks find they get flattened after a while, which is why they supply a new one with the new oil filter.

I have a supply of thicker O-rings that I provide with my SOFA/SOFCA's that I occasionally sell, and would be willing to mail you one so you can try it to see if it will fit and work for you!? Drop me a PM, and send me your snail mail and I can get one to you in the mail ASAP! I get them from McMaster-Carr,
          Here are the specs:

T.C.
          I went out and checked a spare oil filter cup and as T.C. and oseghdha said the groove is identical. My apologies and thanks. I'll take you up on your offer T.C.
          I am absolutely anal about changing oil and filter and always Yamaha oil & filter. I have NEVER gotten an O ring seal with the filter. I just bought it separately.
          Tomorrow morning I am going up to purchase an oil filter at my dealer and if the O ring isn't in or with the box, someone is going to have their day ruined.
          Once again many thanks. Rick

Comment

O ring

Hey Rick,
            Since you are so particular about changing the filter, as I am, Discount Auto sells the Fram filters for these bikes which include not only the big o-ring but the filter bolt o-ring as well. Cost = $5 !!
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thx Cobia

That business dosen't sound familiar to me. (Canada eh!) I'm thinking Mikes XS seems to have the best price here without paying customs duty. I've been patiently waiting for the canadian dollar to get closer to par with the usa dollar. Right now it's just way too expensive to bring parts in here.
              Thanks, Rick

Comment

Here in small town Canada, CenturyVallen stocks a good assortment of o-rings, but none are the right size for the oil filter cup. I buy a larger ring of the appropriate thickness for cheap, cut it to the exact length I want, then use Loctite 404 to glue it back together. 404 is made for this application and it works. To help hold the new material in alignment, I place it in the groove of the clean filter cup.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Loctite 404

Hey Ken, the 404 doesn't go hard does it?. Stays soft but tacky like a gasket replacement ? Thx Rick

Comment

O ring

Hi Ken,
                    Don't know if you have a Lordco auto parts near Revelstoke, but out here in Surrey, they carry the Fram oil filters mentioned in an earlier post. As mentioned earlier, the filters come with new O rings, both the big and small ones. All for about $5 Canadian.
                    Leo
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1197cc Wiseco kit
                    1978 cams
                    4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
                    Keihin CR33 mm carbs
                    K&N individual pod filters
                    TKAT fork brace

Comment

Ten Dollar O Ring ?

I went up to see my Yamaha dealer and asked about the O ring being included with the oil filter. The reply was No. The O ring was listed under a different PN# and therefore was sold separately. For $9.59 each inc. tax.
                      There followed a brief discussion with the owner who admitted I was a good parts customer but there was nothing he could do. I left the store, never to return.

Comment

Do you fellas have a parts number on that Fram filter?
                        I see a CH6002 on Frams site, but they list it for a 1100 Venture.
                        Last edited by Fix; 05-12-2009, 09:03 AM.
                        Mike C
                        Lake Orion, Michigan
                        '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Here is a quick list from another thread...

autozone SP2
                          Napa 4933
                          STP: SMO-2
                          Wix 24933
                          Fram CH6002

Hope this helps!! These filters fit the 750/850, XS1100, and the Venture/Vmax.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You rock Diver. I searched for oil filters and came up with a ton of threads on rounded bolts, but I couldn't find those. Thanks!

Any chance of getting those added to the Maintenance part of the tech tips?
                            Last edited by Fix; 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM.
                            Mike C
                            Lake Orion, Michigan
                            '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

I buy my oil filters at Canadian Tire. The usually have it in stock.

They can get the air filter too.
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X