Side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side covers

I need to know what years and models of side covers will fit a 1979 xs1100 F standard.

thanks

Any of the standard model side covers will work. E, F, G, and H models. Lots of times these types of questions can be answered by a trip to the yamaha parts fiche. You can compare the part numbers for different years and get answers pretty quick.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

side covers

Some of the side covers have slots on top and others have round holes I'm told.
      Mine has the slots.

Comment

Right you are - the fiche reveals that the 80/81's have the little round plugs. I imagine you could still get them to work, but you would have to cut some slots. If you look at the diagram on the fiche, it looks like the frame has the same arrangement as the earlier models. I went over and looked at my brothers 80 G, and it has the same kind of covers on it as mine. Looks to me like if you have an 80/81 any of the covers should work, and if you're putting the later model covers on a 78/79 it might require some minor modification.
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-04-2009, 09:14 AM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
          Right you are - the fiche reveals that the 80/81's have the little round plugs. I imagine you could still get them to work, but you would have to cut some slots. If you look at the diagram on the fiche, it looks like the frame has the same arrangement as the earlier models. I went over and looked at my brothers 80 G, and it has the same kind of covers on it as mine. Looks to me like if you have an 80/81 any of the covers should work, and if you're putting the later model covers on a 78/79 it might require some minor modification.
          My 80 has round holes on the left cover and slots on the right. AFAIKT these are mounted in the original fashion (other than the left cover having the latch piece broken off and being held on by a minature bungee cord )
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You're right, but my statement still stands. Take a look at the diagram, specifically the "hooks" on the left hand side of the frame. Sure looks like you could get a 78/79 cover over it, but again, you would have to do some modification of the cover. Then again, I've been wrong before . Plastex comes in real handy in these situations.

Comment

If you want plug 'n play, 78-79 Standard only. Also, the Special covers are totally different, so don't that way.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X