Final Rear Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Rear Ratio

I'm converting a '79 XS1100 to electric power & need to know the final ratio in the rear hub to know how to gear it. TIA Bob

electric slide

3.3/1 is the stock ratio......
    2.9/1 can be had with an XS750/850 Final drive
    and IIRC @ 4.0/1 can be done with a V-max final drive...
    That should about cover a good rear ratio spectrum....
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Bo - Welcome to the site. Electric power- what an interesting idea. Don't forget to clothes-pin some playing cards to the spokes for that realistic motor sound - can't have an XS that doesn't make some noise .
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I want to know how this project works out for you. I decided awhile back that if my XS ever completely craps out on me I'll convert it to electric before I get rid of it.
        I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
        3J6 003509
        Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
        Fuse Block Upgrade
        Mike's XS Green Coils
        Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

My personal opion (yeah, yeah, everybody has one) is that the shining feature of the XS is the engine with is wide, smooth, powerband. Handleing and weight are it's detractors. I would use a lighter framed bike that handles better (an RD400 with a blown motor for example).
          When RC model airplanes are converted from gas to electric they substantially lighten the frame. The frame for a gas-powered vehicle has to deal with the inherent vibration of said engine that an electric motor dosen't have. This "trimming the fat" makes for less drain on the motor thus better performance (HP or runtime).
          It is your project and an interesting one at that. Keep us posted with lots of photos.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
            My personal opion (yeah, yeah, everybody has one) is that the shining feature of the XS is the engine with is wide, smooth, powerband. Handleing and weight are it's detractors. I would use a lighter framed bike that handles better (an RD400 with a blown motor for example).
            When RC model airplanes are converted from gas to electric they substantially lighten the frame. The frame for a gas-powered vehicle has to deal with the inherent vibration of said engine that an electric motor dosen't have. This "trimming the fat" makes for less drain on the motor thus better performance (HP or runtime).
            It is your project and an interesting one at that. Keep us posted with lots of photos.
            But think of how many batteries you could fit into that big huge open area where the engine used to be. Make a fake mockup engine and fill it with batteries . Then again all those batteries may end up weighing more than the engine they replaced.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
            X