bike wont shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont shut off

The problem started ,batt drained ,headlight relay pullin coil energized ,pulled relay no more drein,but now ignition wont denergize dash lights stay on n such,whats up?

Sounds like you have some electrical issues. When you turn off the ignition, the entire bike should turn off. I would start with the fuse box, then check EVERY ground connection on the entire bike. Clean them with a wire wheel/brush, then re-attach them. Check the connectors for the ignition switch for corrosion as well. You'd be suprised how little corrosion it takes to kill a connection. HTH.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Corrosion will usually show as a bad or not made connection. This sounds like the key switch is not actually rotating enough or the internals are not moving to disconnect the circuit. ( I've never had one apart so not sure how they work inside).
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

wont shut off

Ive since read more on the forum and someone had the same thing ,theirs was the key switch connector done some melting and got together ,will check that first ,thanks for the return

Comment

When I need to clean the electrical connectors, after disconnecting the battery, I spray them with battery terminal cleaner and let them soak of a few minutes, brush them with a small tooth brush size steel brush to remove the really stubborn crud, then flush them with electronic cleaner. they come out looking like new, and adding a little dielectric grease helps keep them that way.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
          X