Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

think i made a mistake (coil and plug wire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• think i made a mistake (coil and plug wire)

i bought new wires for my bike and went to install them and noticed there was no plastic compression not on the coil where the plug wire goes in... I puled the number 2 wire out and can see where there is an indentation on the wire where is was being held in but i can find no screw or bolt to release this in order to get the new one in...am i missing something ? or were they not meant to be removed? if so will i have to drill that little piece out in order to get the new wires in?

thnx
    1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Grind the Coils

Originally posted by Thee_oddball View Post
    ... were they not meant to be removed? if so will i have to drill that little piece out in order to get the new wires in?
    Theo, the coil wires weren't meant to be removed. There is a Tech Tip on site here with pictures that shows how to grind away part of the coil bodies to replace the wires.

New Wires in Old Coils

Take it slow!

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Theo, the coil wires weren't meant to be removed. There is a Tech Tip on site here with pictures that shows how to grind away part of the coil bodies to replace the wires.

New Wires in Old Coils

Take it slow!

Regards,

Scott
      thnx m8, i did a search before posting but did not think to look in the tech tip section...DUH!
      1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Comment

No worries; you're welcome!

Happy grinding.

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I replaced 2 of the 4 spark plug wire using the tech tips.I only did the 2 because i could not find any angled spark plug boots.Take your time doing these and it looks nice once they are done.I got the ones with the plug caps molded into the wire.If you need the straight ones i got plenty in blue-if you need the angled boots i don't have them.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
          X