Year of carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year of carb

Hello can anyone tell me how to easily tell what year a carb is??

Tks
    Peter.

Hey peter, this is the sort of question you would want to post in the XS-XJ1100 forum. More folks will see it there and some will know more than me on this subject.

IIRC, there are three basic "models" of carbs. the 1978-1979 version and the 1980-1981 version, and then the XJ version.

The 78-79 carbs had a few distinguishign features that I recall. The idle speed screw is BEHIND the carbs nearest the air box. There are two set of Ts between the 1and 2 carbs and again betwen the 3 and 4 carbs, one is fuel the upper is a vent. The idle mixture screw has a white cap on top and is clearly visible. The inlet bell has three holes in it.

The 80-81 differ in the same features thus so. The idle speed screw is on the ENGINE side of the carbs, below the carbs and directly below the throttle cable linkage. There only two Ts between the carbs, one between each set being the fuel Ts. The vent that used to go to the upper T now goes to the inlet bell making that four holes instead of three in the inlet bell. The idle mixture screw is hidden inside a tunnel on the engine side of the carbs, and often is hidden beneath a metal plug.

The XJ carbs from what I have read are the same as the 80-81's but have a different choke or enricher set up. HTH
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
    X