Pilot screws question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot screws question

i can't remember on the pilot screws on the front of the carbs which ways to turn for lean an richer

In for lean, out for a richer mixture.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pilot

hey pat thanks this time I'am writing it down comes with age!!!

Comment

That sometimers is hell getting old!
        Richard

Comment

What is the stock setting for the pilot screws? When i took them out I counted 9 1/2 turns. What do you guys recommend?
          1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

9 1/2 turns - yikes! This varies a lot from bike to bike depending a lot of factors, but 3 turns would be a good place to start.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by drooker56 View Post
              What is the stock setting for the pilot screws? When i took them out I counted 9 1/2 turns. What do you guys recommend?
              Do you have any "upgrades" like pod air filters, 4 into 1 exhaust, drilled air box, etc................
              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by drooker56 View Post
                Are you saying you began at wherever they were and you unscrewed them that many turns? The measurement needs to be taken by screwing them IN from wherever they are and counting how many turns it takes to hit bottom. That way, when you re-install, you screw them all the way in, and back them out the same number of turns. Usually 2.5 turns IIRC.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

9 1/2 was from where they were to all the way out. Yes I have pods and my exhaust is 4 into 2, headers only.

Comment

On my 81 special, the mixture screw only goes in about 10 to mayeb 10-1/2 turns from start to seated. So if I read your post correctly, you were 1/2 a turn form seated? That would be VERY lean. I think mine were at 3 turns out before I rebuilt the carbs, now about 2 turns out from seated.

Realizing your running open exhaust and pods, then all I know would go to hates in a hand basket quick.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Before you get confused, turn the "idle mixture screws" (what you call pilot screws) all the way in gently until they stop, then turn them out about 3 turns to start. Warm up the bike and then drop it down to idle and see how it runs. I have pods and stock 4 into 2 exhaust. John and I were tuning mine last night and found that it ran best at about 5 turns out, so I will probably need to go up a size on the pilot jets and main jets to keep from running lean. Once you got it where you think it runs the best then sync the carbs.
                      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                        Before you get confused, turn the "idle mixture screws" (what you call pilot screws) all the way in gently until they stop, then turn them out about 3 turns to start.
                        Hey Drooker,

"WE" can't say this strongly or often enough! PLEASE be very careful using just a couple of fingers on the screwdriver, and watch/feel for the pilot screw tip to start protruding thru the small port on the inside/underside of the engine side of the carb throat. The design of these screws lend them to getting STUCK very easily, even breaking off after getting stuck when trying to unscrew them! The Stock settings are 1.5 turns from seated, but as has been said, with your mods, a bit more will probably be needed. But it's been said that if it takes more than 5 turns out, you should go up 1 size on the jet.

Also...running straight headers without any kind of tuning pipe or muffler will probably contribute to worse performance than better!!! There have been several threads about this issue running open headers/pipes vs. mufflers or anything that can provide a bit of back pressure to help even out the exhaust pulses and such!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks so much for your answers and help. I can't say that enough!

I have a new problem though. One of my carbs won't even take the screw in enough to put tension on the spring without bending the tip. There is not a tip broken off in the hole, it is clear. I wanted to tune them in today but i am at an impass. I have a couple more scres but would rather not break them as well without consulting the pros here. is it possible somone replaced one carb with a different model? they look identical and i haven't seen any numbers but i am going to go back out and look. I am lost and getting a little upset about this...

HELP ME!!!

Comment

Please read the post above this. I have one screw that will only turn in about 5 turns so when I back it out two there is no tension on the spring. I tried turning it in gently but tough thinking thre was gunk in the thread but I bent a screw that way. I am lost.

Comment

Hey Drooker,

Did you have any trouble getting that screw out before? These are the older carbs with the exposed mixture screw right? (I've only worked on the newer ones.)

One thing I did to mine when I had thread troubles was to take some advice from Tarzan and use an old mixture screw (like the ones you bent already) cut the end off of it so it was only the threaded area, cut some vertical grooves through the threads with a hack saw, 2 or 3, and use it as a tap to recut the threads. Used plenty of PB Blaster as cutting oil also.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X