Oil pan gasket procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan gasket procedure?

In my pump surgeries, apparently I didn't do so well in putting the oil pan gasket back on; it's leaking.

I can't seem to find any torque specs in the Cymer or Yamaha shop manual for oil pan bolts... so I just put it on guessing at the torque.

Also, I'm not sure I did the right thing in putting it back on. Someone had suggested spraying Pam on the gasket so it would not stick as much to the metal, in case I needed to take it off again. However, now that it is leaking I'm not sure.

Also, I've heard about people using some sort of gasket sealer.

Can anyone lend me a clue for best practices on putting the oil pan back on to make sure it doesn't leak?

thanks!
    79 XS1100SF

I'm sure you will get many varied opinions on this so here's mine: I don't think there is a torque value specified for the oil pan, but if there was, it wouldn't be too much... no more then 6-8ft lbs. As for the Pam spray, on the alternator and timing cover gaskets, I think this is a good idea as this gasket is just to keep water and dust out so it's OK to re-use it. Any other gaskets, I use RTV sealant or some other non-hardening gasket maker in addition to the gasket. I know, lots of people claim they NEVER use gasket maker/glue and NEVER have a leak.... guess I was just born under the wrong sign or something. Sure, it's a PIA to clean it off the next time you take it apart, but with the normal reliablity of these machines, that will probably be a long time, if ever.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
    X