New Member-Have Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member-Have Pics

Hi Everyone. I've posted a couple times here, but haven't told how I came to the site. In February I was at a local bike mechanic/Kawasaki H2 restorer getting a rear wheel laced for my KZ900 project. I noticed a neglected XS1100SF sitting outside of a barn on his property. I jokingly asked if he needed me to take it off his hands, and he noted that while it wasn't his, the owner would sell it CHEAP. I asked how cheap, he said $200..........Do you know that feeling, alternately excited because you found a great deal, and sick that you neither have the money, space, or time to bring home another project? Well that sums up the drive home, knowing I couldn't let that classic brute rust another week in the elements.

Next to a Kawasaki Z1/KZ900, my most lusted after bike as a kid was the 1979 XS Eleven Special. There were a couple in my small town, and their owners flogged them mercilessly, much to this 15 year olds delight! Well here she is. I need funds to finish the KZ, but I can't part with the Eleven. Both will sit in my garage until they can be restored to their former glory. The XS needs major carb work, and evidently the PO could only get the bike to run on 2 cylinders. After pulling the header, I noticed heavy carbon deposits in exhaust ports 1 & 2. Any leads on what may cause that? Sounds electrical to me, but I guess could be fuel line related. Anyway, thanks for this site, thanks for the wealth of info already posted here, and hopefully I can contribute in some way down the line. Here are some "before" and "during" pics. Lots of polishing, a can of VHT ceramic exhaust paint, and she looks better already!

http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/w...S004-small.jpg

http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/w...S007-small.jpg

http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/w...iding004aa.jpg

http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/w...ng014small.jpg
    Last edited by EricHa; 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
    Airbox w/K&N element
    Jardine 4 into 1
    145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
    1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
    1975 Honda CB550K

Not too shabby! So, is the black exhaust the "before" or the "after"? Always nice to see anthoer one of these brought back to life. Sounds like you have some carb cleaning to do though.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Electrical problems will be on cylinders 1&4 together and 2&3. FUEL problems will be on 1&2, and 3&4. Looks like just carb work will probably get it fixed up.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ohhh... And..... Since you have neither time nor money for this bike, I guess I could do the nice thing and take it off your hands for $300..

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

What a nice find! What part of Il you from? A bunch of us are getting together on the 15th of may in southern Il. I am up by the rockford area. Good luck with getting her fixed up.
          68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
          76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
          79 special (skull bike)
          79 special (parts bike w/title)
          79 special
          80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
          81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
          81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
          80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
          81 650 maxim
          81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
          88 Zx 600r (Sold)
          01 Gz 250

Comment

CatatonicBug-The black on the Kerker is after. We have a sandblaster here at work, so a little blast time, and a rattle can of VHT Flameproof, and she looks pretty good. I'd like an old Russ Collins pipe for this bike as it was less angular and fit the bikes styling, but they seem to be quite rare.

trbig-Thanks for the tip. I've thought about selling it here so it would get a good home, but I just can't part with it. It's funny how it's probably viewed as just some old jap bike to most people, but these things were monster bikes when I was growing up.

exquized1-I'm down near Decatur. I'll be working at our mountain bike club's trailday that weekend, but hope you have a good time in Southern IL. That's a good little ride from Cheap Trick land. :-)
            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
            Airbox w/K&N element
            Jardine 4 into 1
            145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
            1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
            1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Working...
            X