Another carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another carb question

I know that to much gas can warsh down a cylinder wall and cause it to smoke, what i dont know is the xs carbs, If the needel on the slide is set to rich can it cause it to warsh down the cylinders and smoke ? Can the flowt level being a tad high cause this.
    It idels fine but when i hit it hard, black smoke comes out and then when i let off of it a puff of light blue smoke, this is oil the black is gas i know this much
    1979 xs1100 f
    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
    when ya get bucked off, get back on

I ain't no carb guru, but I am learning these gremlins slowly. I have expereinced wher emy bike will idle fine with no load, but any kind of load or adding throttle changes everything on these. IMHO, Yes, a bad float level could easily cause you to run rich throughout the ranges. Needle I think tends to effect the low to mid range area of about 2-3 or 4k RPM. A higher needle setting will make them run richer. I just learned how little a change is required to fubar the mix, by realizing I had assembled my needle in the wrong order.

As to your smoke, it is more likely in my opinion that your seeing the end trail of your XSive fuel in the "lighter black" smoke than you seeing oil only on the way down. It can be hard to distinguish the black from the blue sometimes.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      I ain't no carb guru, but I am learning these gremlins slowly. I have expereinced wher emy bike will idle fine with no load, but any kind of load or adding throttle changes everything on these. IMHO, Yes, a bad float level could easily cause you to run rich throughout the ranges. Needle I think tends to effect the low to mid range area of about 2-3 or 4k RPM. A higher needle setting will make them run richer. I just learned how little a change is required to fubar the mix, by realizing I had assembled my needle in the wrong order.

As to your smoke, it is more likely in my opinion that your seeing the end trail of your XSive fuel in the "lighter black" smoke than you seeing oil only on the way down. It can be hard to distinguish the black from the blue sometimes.
      I gess i will not know much untill I get this on the road to test it out, the bike set for alot of years, the lic plate that was on it said 1995.
      Have to do the 2nd gear fix first, at least i got it runing that is a plus, just working out all the bugs.
      1979 xs1100 f
      floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
      1978 gl 1000 goldwing
      1981 gl 1100 goldwing
      !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

When you say you hit it hard do you mean wide open throttle?If so it is running purely on the main jet IIRC.So if the jets are too big that can happen.Has anyone changed them?Or if your floats are too high is another possibility.
        The puff of blue smoke could be valve seals or guides I would think.
        One thing I have learned with old bikes though is sometimes once you get them running right and put a few miles on them they can stop smoking.
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
          When you say you hit it hard do you mean wide open throttle?If so it is running purely on the main jet IIRC.So if the jets are too big that can happen.Has anyone changed them?Or if your floats are too high is another possibility.
          The puff of blue smoke could be valve seals or guides I would think.
          One thing I have learned with old bikes though is sometimes once you get them running right and put a few miles on them they can stop smoking.
          Rick
          Put new jets in it, mains 142, pilots 40, has 4 to 1 mac header i beleave, and yes crack it perty much wide open
          1979 xs1100 f
          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
          !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
            Put new jets in it, mains 142, pilots 40, has 4 to 1 mac header i beleave, and yes crack it perty much wide open
            Floats set at 25
            1979 xs1100 f
            floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
            1978 gl 1000 goldwing
            1981 gl 1100 goldwing
            !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

Float levels seem right, but I think the 145 mains are too big.y 137.5's and also the 40 pilots are too small. How far out are the pilot screws? Did you move the setting on the needles. From what I can gather the only mod is the 4 to 1 header. I would try setting everything back to factory and see what you have. I put a kerker on mine with a stock air box and didn't have to rejet or change any of the carb settings. Pulled all the way to redline. Although it did pull a little harder once it got over 3500 RPM.

Comment

With NO AIR BOX, I would go back down to 140 jets. If it still puffs black on WOT, then set the floats to 26mm and try again.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                X