Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This could be my dumbest question yet. Or not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be my dumbest question yet. Or not...

There was a lot of work done to my bike before I got her. I never had a chance to ask the previous owner because he was in Iraq when I bought his house and the bike had been sitting in the yard under a shredded cover for at least 8 years. My question is: is there a way to tell if it has a big bore kit? I know these bikes are powerful/fast, but my god! I have never got the carbs tuned in perfect and she still nearly throws me off the back when I give it to her. I am just curious, a couple beers and i got to thinking...
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Not a dumb question.
    You cant really tell unless you remove the head and measure the bore size.
    In theory you could fill a cylinder bore with fluid and measure the amount it takes to fill, but practically it would be hard to do accurately.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

make yourself a fitting that you can screw into a sparkplug hole, and put a balloon on.

Spin the motor over by hand, on cylinder 1 from tdc to tdc on compression stroke.

Do this on yours and on a stock one, and see if the balloon blows upthe same amount.

Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

No dumb questions, only answers..

There's no such thing as dumb question if you genuinely don't know the answer, there can, however, be a never ending supply of dumb answers to any question. Only way to tell with accuracy, as stated by petejw, is to measure bore and stroke. Also as stated by pete, in theory you could use a liquid but the method i would use for this would be (and here beginnith said dumb answer) to use a large syringe and inject a measured quantity of oil into the cylinder. Divide the suspected big bore size (1196cc I think but someone will correct if wrong) by 4. Fill a large syringe with 299cc of good quality engine oil and slowly inject into 1 cylinder at BDC. If it only takes 175cc or less then its standard, anything more than 175 then it's bored. If it takes the full 299 then its "big bored", if it wants more then theres a hole in the piston and your sump is getting full . Of course if you go down this road, then you've got the problem of getting the oil out again, which probably means you've got to take the head off anyways. If you're game enough to try it in the first place, you might get the oil out by turning the engine over and pumping it out the spark plug hole, but you'd want to be sure it was all out before you start it up, or you'll you have a fairly large bang from the hydraulic slug, and your sump will be getting full as above. We don't have a smilie for "tounge in cheek" but you get the idea.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Possible dumb answer??

Rooker,
          I believe the compression increases about 40psi, give or take 10psi, after an overbore job. Normally, your compression should be around 140psi, on the overbores it typically increases to around 180psi. You may want to take that into consideration before you go performing surgery to satisfy a curiosity. If it's blowing you off the back, it doesn't sound broke to me... If it ain't broke.....lol!!
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

This may seem a little simple, but don't the tops of BB-kit high comp pistons look quite a bit different tnad stock? With my buddies KZ, I was quite sure it had a BB-kit because of the way the top of the pistons looked throught the spark plug holes. That and it had about 170 psi on the compression tester. Obviously, we weren't SURE of that until the head came off. But, if you know what a set of standard pistons and a set of Wiesco pistons look like, you could probably tell.

On the flip side, that feeling that might just throw you off the back at WOT is a stock feature of the 11.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

There's not enough height difference to see just by looking at the piston from inside the spark plug hole. The wiseco pistons are a touch taller domes than the 78-79 pistons, but are SHORTER domed than the 80 and up pistons.

I know the later stock pistons have a raised "3H5" on the top center of the pistons you could see through the spark plug hole, but unsure if the earlier ones have a "2H7" printed on them. Wiseco pistons have a serial number printed on top, that you may be able to see here...

...but I doubt you'd be able to see that number with much carbon on top of the piston. So if you see a 2H7 or a 3H5 if you have a later model motor in the bike, then it's stock. Something you COULD look for though.. is this is a 78-79 piston on the right versus a later model one on the left. Both the Wiseco and later model pistons have a noticeable deeper valve relief cut into the piston top.

A Wiseco piston height falls in between these two piston heights.

Tod
              Last edited by trbig; 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                I know the later stock pistons have a raised "3H5" on the top center of the pistons you could see through the spark plug hole, but unsure if the earlier ones have a "2H7" printed on them.
                No number (2H7) on top of the 78-79 pistons, just the forward arrow.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I beg to differ with you

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                  There's no such thing as dumb question if you genuinely don't know the answer, there can, however, be a never ending supply of dumb answers to any question. Only way to tell with accuracy, as stated by petejw, is to measure bore and stroke. Also as stated by pete, in theory you could use a liquid but the method i would use for this would be (and here beginnith said dumb answer) to use a large syringe and inject a measured quantity of oil into the cylinder. Divide the suspected big bore size (1196cc I think but someone will correct if wrong) by 4. Fill a large syringe with 299cc of good quality engine oil and slowly inject into 1 cylinder at BDC. If it only takes 175cc or less then its standard, anything more than 175 then it's bored. If it takes the full 299 then its "big bored", if it wants more then theres a hole in the piston and your sump is getting full . Of course if you go down this road, then you've got the problem of getting the oil out again, which probably means you've got to take the head off anyways. If you're game enough to try it in the first place, you might get the oil out by turning the engine over and pumping it out the spark plug hole, but you'd want to be sure it was all out before you start it up, or you'll you have a fairly large bang from the hydraulic slug, and your sump will be getting full as above. We don't have a smilie for "tounge in cheek" but you get the idea.
                  This question was not a dumb one at all, by no means. Just a good one. But boy'o'boy have I read some really, really dumb ones here. Say what you want but jeezy!!! I to have always been a huge fan of "THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE NOT ASKED". Not so much anymore. I encounter very, very, very dumb sh*t every day from very very very dumb people, with very very very dumb questions, that come from very very very dumb minds. I am amazed on a daily basis with many people I encounter who just have not the slightest bit of anything to offer the world and have to be taken by the hand for EVERYTHING. Those are usually the ones where the dumb questions fall out of there mouth.

But your question, not dumb at all.
                  80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigray03 View Post
                    This question was not a dumb one at all, by no means. Just a good one. But boy'o'boy have I read some really, really dumb ones here. Say what you want but jeezy!!! I to have always been a huge fan of "THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE NOT ASKED". Not so much anymore. I encounter very, very, very dumb sh*t every day from very very very dumb people, with very very very dumb questions, that come from very very very dumb minds. I am amazed on a daily basis with many people I encounter who just have not the slightest bit of anything to offer the world and have to be taken by the hand for EVERYTHING. Those are usually the ones where the dumb questions fall out of there mouth.

But your question, not dumb at all.
                    Okay.......???? I didn't ask a question....
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Hey, I'm in GR but you already knew that. If your interested in the fuse block replacement I just did it on my bike and your welcome to come and take a look in person, or if you need to look at an assembled bike or need a hand I'll work for a sandwich and a couple of beers. Good luck!
                      1979 xs1100 Special -
                      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                      My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                      X