speedo change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo change

I changed the speedo that was on my 80 SG to a speedo that came off a 79 SF.I thought it was a plug and play thing but it turns out it really was not.On my SG there is a 3 pin connector and on the SF there is a 4 pin connector.Had to disassemble the speedo and found out my SG's speedo had some rust on the inside of the housing.After looking at both parts- i just changed the wiring harness from the SF speedo and put my SG harness on instead.Put everything together and took bike for a test ride.Works perfect!
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Glad it worked out for you. Plug it in to find out it don't work and you'll have to play with the wiring to fix it.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Without looking at the wiring diagrams I,m pretty sure the difference in plug is due to the SG having a common earth pin for the idiot light and the self canceller reed (wires are joined inside black sheath at some point) and the SF having a seperate earth for each item. If need be you could simply cut the plug off the SF unit, connect the earths (black wires) together and join the wires to your existing SG plug.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Sorry

Sorry about the bad advise I could have sworn mine just plugged in when I changed over. Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Aah-nothing is plug and play-except for Geezers rectifier/regulator unit.No biggie changing the wires from the SG.i have taken the speedo apart many times,just have to be sure you don't pinch the reed wires and that the bulbs go into their holes.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
          X