Compression Check Manually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Check Manually

Can I rotate the motor manually and check compression?
    Gene (Florida)
    1980 XS1100SG
    Accel Coils
    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

You can pull the sparkplugs and stick your thumb over the hole as you rotate the crank and you shouldn't be able to hold back the pressure.. but no, there's no accurate way of doing it this way. It should also suck your thumb to the hole a bit on the downstroke.

Just read your posting in the other thread. You can run a hot wire from a battery to the starter and crank the motor on a stand. It won't be as accurate since the motor should be warm.. but that will tell you something better than just by hand.

Tod
    Last edited by trbig; 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Gene,
      Use a set of jumper cables and put the negative clamp on the engine, and use the positive to touch the battery post on the starter. If you have the carbs OFF, it will work well. Have all the spark plugs out, and put a gauge in the cylinders one at a time. As long as you are about 15%, you are good. Even if they seem a little low, say 95 to 110, don't worry. If the engine has NOT run for a while, you cannot get a good check.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Sounds better than the thumb. I have the bike completely apart and not sure if I want to take the motor down. I was thinking the head to inspect the cylinder walls. If I do that this bike won't run till winter.
        Gene (Florida)
        1980 XS1100SG
        Accel Coils
        4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Working...
        X