Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock to Hose Routing......(help)

Okay, so here's where I'm at...

I got a 78' xs1100 given to me.. Carb lines were all torn off. no gas tank..

I got a gastank, got the petcocks, I found in the manual that there's a piece it appears I'm missing where some vaccum lines off the motor and lines from the petcocks also that go to this little "thing" don't know what the official term is for it... What I did to "temporarily get me going (to hear it run) is...

I took the front outlet on each petcock and hooked it up to the T on each sides respective carb T. so I could hear it run finally.

What I found was... it appears only the 2 outter carbs were firing. by feeling the pipes the two inside ones were cool outters were hot. Any thoughts / help / someone have this mystery piece I may be missing or know what its called?

Thank you for your help!
    -Randy

Pop the drains on the bottom of the carbs and see if they have gas in them.
    See if you have sparks.
    Is it a STD or a Special?

Search for octopus.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

It should be a Standard. Here's a picture of what it looks like for me. I have a 78E too.

1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

A '78, duh.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
          A '78, duh.
          Oh, good. You had me all confused! The '78 doesn't have an octy, does it? Just vacuum-operated petcocks, right?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I wish I lived where the bike is stored so I could take a picture.... So are the petcocks from a 78 to a 79 different? since the 78' doesn't have the octopus. Does it just go from the petcock straight to the carbs? nothing inbetween?

What I did was run on the left and right petcocks front outlets (like I said before) lines directly to the T's and then I just hooked the 2 rearward outlets together via a separate line.

I'm dumb.. didn't even think to check for spark, I'll check that when I get up there this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Oh, good. You had me all confused! The '78 doesn't have an octy, does it? Just vacuum-operated petcocks, right?
              No.
              This part confused me:

I found in the manual that there's a piece it appears I'm missing where some vaccum lines off the motor and lines from the petcocks also that go to this little "thing"
              XS1100SF
              XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by Krandall View Post
                .... So are the petcocks from a 78 to a 79 different? since the 78' doesn't have the octopus. Does it just go from the petcock straight to the carbs? nothing inbetween?

Correct, except maybe filters would be good.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Petcocks

The petcocks are identical on the 78 & 79 . The vacuum line from # 2 carb holder goes to the left petcock and the vacuum line from # 3 carb goes to the right petcock. This leaves carb 1 and 4 to have blanking plugs on the carb holders. The vacuum line on #2 carb goes to the vacuum advance. I agree on putting inline filters!!
                  78 XS1100E Standard
                  Coca Cola Red
                  Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                  http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                  http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                  http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

The octy is on the SPECIAL models ONLY. The '78 only came as a STANDARD.
                    The carbs on the '78 have two "T"s on each side. The top "T" is a VENT! and MUST be open to the air, or plugged into the stock airbox. If the tank you have is off the SPECIAL, the petcocks will have TWO fuel outlets per side. Run a fuel line, WITH FILTER, from the BACK outlet to the lower fuel "T", and run a fuel line from the front outlet of one side to the front outlet of the other side. You will no longer have a "prime", but you should NOT need it.
                    If you have the STANDARD petcocks, you will have one fuel, and one VACUUM line on each side. The fuel outlet points to the center of the bike, and the vacuum points to the front of the bike. Hook the fuel lines up one to each carb pair, and run a vacuum line from the BOOT of carbs #2&3 to the petcocks.
                    HTH
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      The octy is on the SPECIAL models ONLY. The '78 only came as a STANDARD.
                      The carbs on the '78 have two "T"s on each side. The top "T" is a VENT! and MUST be open to the air, or plugged into the stock airbox. If the tank you have is off the SPECIAL, the petcocks will have TWO fuel outlets per side. Run a fuel line, WITH FILTER, from the BACK outlet to the lower fuel "T", and run a fuel line from the front outlet of one side to the front outlet of the other side. You will no longer have a "prime", but you should NOT need it.
                      If you have the STANDARD petcocks, you will have one fuel, and one VACUUM line on each side. The fuel outlet points to the center of the bike, and the vacuum points to the front of the bike. Hook the fuel lines up one to each carb pair, and run a vacuum line from the BOOT of carbs #2&3 to the petcocks.
                      HTH
                      Excellent!! Thank you very much..

It's sounding like I got a cobbled together bike now LOL

Not sure what the gastank is off of. but it didn't come w/ petcocks, I actually purchased them from someone on here.....
                      So, thanks again.

sorry if I was confusing, I have the Clymer manual for it, and it's a 78-82 I think manual, which sucks since there's so many difference between each year... grrr.

THanks thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X