starter won't turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter won't turn

OK, here is my problem. Last fall I redlined the bike and hit 135, came home parked the bike. Next time I went to ride the starter didn't turn when I pushed the starter button. I checked the clutch lockout switch, the sidestand swithch, replaced the ignition starting circit relay. Also checked the starter button it's self. I can cross the solenoid, and the starter turns fine. if I go direct to the coils it runs, but will not turn off with the switch. I have a good well charged battery. The bike is a 1982 XJ1100 with 43,000 miles. I would like to fix it to sell it, or just part it out. Does anyone want a decent XJ? It has a clear wisconsin title, I put k&n's on it, kreemed the tank, new throttle cable, and a brand new Dunlop 404, with less than 30 miles on it. The carbs have been replaced also.

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance... Dave

Fuses? Mine did the same thing and I ended up changing out the fuse box.

Comment

starter won't turn

I replaced all the fuses with the blade type, junked the stock fuse box

Comment

I am guessing the XJ has the same color wires and setup as the XS. Anyhow on the XS, try grounding the blue/white wire. This should activate the solenoid.

If it does, your problem is in the button circuit to the solenoid, if not, it is either the solenoid or power going to the solenoid.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

starter won't turn

Thanks Ivan I will try this, and I will be rechecking all my fuses too, as noted by the last person that replied to my problem. I hate electrical problems,

Comment

Sounds like the key switch is bad.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

starter won't turn

I by passed the switch, still dosen't turn, sounds more like a bad fuse maybe. One guy suggested maybe the solenoid, but I replaced that too.

Comment

If you grounded the terminal with the blue/white wire at the solenoid, then you need to check for power at the other terminal with the small wire. If there is power there, then there should be power at the other side, but probably a dim light. If there is nothing on the blue white wire, probably bad windings in the solenoid. If no power at the other wire, then it is a fuse or some other supply problem. Maybe the kill switch, but I am not sure if it is in that side of the circuit. hopefully someone else will chime in here.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

If the XJ is the same as the XS SH then, the circuit runs from the battery to the main fuse, to the key switch, then to the fuse box, brown wire. Brown wire feeds three fuses (on XS at least) one is the ign fuse. That one changes to red white wire and goes to handle bar kill switch. Other side of kill switch red white goes to inlet side of starter solenoid. Outlet side of starter solenoid is blue white and goes to starter button which connects to ground.

Easiest way to check the solenoid, pull the connector off, jumper from the red white on the solenoid side of the connector to the battery positive, and jump form the blue white side of the solenoid side of the connector to a ground. If it tries to crank, solenoid good, if not , its bad. Or at least needs a good nockin around as another member recently discovered HTH
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

The starter relay should have 12 volts on 3 of the 4 connections in its normal state.When the starter button is pressed it grounds the low side of the starter relay coil and energizes the relay sending 12 volts to the starter.If you can jump the starter relay and energize the starter the problem is in the starter button circuit or the starter relay does not have 12 volts supplied to the high side of the starter relay coil.You will probably need a volt meter or test light and a wiring diagram. Good luck Terry
                    1980 special (Phyllis)
                    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Working...
                    X