Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could be a strange question (air filter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could be a strange question (air filter)

Does any one know how they rate air filters in terms of airflow? i was thinking of making some custom pods that would be as close to the stock airbox in terms of air flow as possible but i need to know the flow rate of the originals..

thnx

S!
    1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

You might be able to get carb air-flow info, someone here may have that, and start with that.

If your goal is to approximate the same air flow as the stock filter, why not just leave the stock filter/airbox on? I know that doesn't answer your question, but where are you going with this?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
      You might be able to get carb air-flow info, someone here may have that, and start with that.

If your goal is to approximate the same air flow as the stock filter, why not just leave the stock filter/airbox on? I know that doesn't answer your question, but where are you going with this?
      there was no stock airbox and it is my understanding that you can not get stock airfilters except thru yamaha (not cheap im sure) , it came with pods but is missing and that pod alone will cost $40 plus i would like to try and use washable foam.

S!
      1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Thee_oddball View Post
        there was no stock airbox and it is my understanding that you can not get stock airfilters except thru yamaha (not cheap im sure) , it came with pods but is missing and that pod alone will cost $40 plus i would like to try and use washable foam.

S!
        The air filters are still available from many places. Here is one on ebay for just over $40 (shipped). Here's a foam one (that's what I have) for a bit cheaper.
        Last edited by CatatonicBug; 04-29-2009, 08:29 AM.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I can still walk into any Canadian Tire or Napa and order the filters. They haven't really changed in price.

Yamaha has them, too, and at about the same price as CT.

Even K&N still makes them for the xs11.

Someone here sold the entire airbox and K&N filter, recently, for $15 in the buy/sell section.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Another Member that has come up with some supercool mods, like the XS750 FD swap, made a really slick looking filter. I know OldYam has one on his. There is a pic of it here somewhere as well as a thread on how XSCHop built it I think.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Hey Guys,

Looks like ya'll didn't look at his signature, he's got the XJ 11 which takes a totally different filter than the XS, and it's not available easily. But, yes there were some recent posts about this subject and how to make your own rewashable one from a K&N insert and the frame of the OEM filter!

You can get a set of pod filters for about $40-50 bucks IIRC, the fancier ones on MikesXS are $64.00 a set of 4.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Don't use that uni filter in the older (78s or 79s) xs11 airbox, or you might end up dynamiting it out of frustration. The "cotter clips" that retain the bolts in the airbox will snag the foam and let me tell you, that stuff is tough! It can make it impossible to get the filter out without using a ginsoo knife to saw the filter into pices!!!

Originally posted by Here's a foam one [/URL
                (that's what I have) for a bit cheaper.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have been using Unis for over 15 years, and the trick to not tearing them up is to remove the clips, and replace them with four paper 'washers' to slip over the air box bolt in place of the clips. Just punch the hole in the 'washer' that is slightly smaller than the bolt, and the washer will stay put and prevent the bolt from falling out of the airbox. I use cardboard from a ceral box.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    I use cardboard from a ceral box.
                    So, would that be a box of Shreddies or Special K? Please tell me its not Froot Loops!
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Actually Ken, it would be whatever flavor cereal that my kids killed off that morning.
                      I am raising some teenage cereal killers.

Comment

Working...
                      X