Front brake help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake help

81sh -well when i started on the bike front and rear brakes were stuck did the spooge and mc cleaning worked for the rear but not the front still a little drag tore down front calipers cleaned the junk out of them yes and behind the o ring worked the spooge hole again just to make sure. now trying to bleed them I'am only getting a little air then none, and no fluid from either side, disconnected lines from calipers gave leaver a quite a few squeeze's and very little fluid came out probably what was in lines whats going on here ??????

You have an air bubble in the MC. The easy fix is fill the MC, and get a vacuum bleeder to "pull" the fluid to the calipers. The only other way is to remove the banjo bolt at the MC, put your finger over the hole and apply the brake, letting the air and fluid escape. Plug the hole TIGHT with your finger BEFORE you release the brake, and repeat until you cannot hold the fluid in when you apply. After you are there, bolt the line back on and start to bleed as normal. DO "RELEASE" the brake SLOWLY the first few times, so you do not suck any air back up into the MC.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Also, when you get to the final bleed, put a 2 X 4 between the handlebar and the brake handle. Pull it too far while your trying to bleed and the seal on the plunger can come unseated. Then it won't do anything useful, and you have to dissassemble the master cylinder to fix. My $.02
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Brakes

hey ray that did it worked great tricks of the trade got to love it!!
        thank you!

Comment

Brakes

hey DB didn't see your post till iwas done i must have lucked out all's fine
          thanks

Comment

Must be something in the water - I didn't find that tidbit 'till I was done with mine either. Like I always say, I'd rather be lucky than good anyday . Glad you got it fixed.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
            X