Clutch actuating lever grenaded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch actuating lever grenaded!

Took a nice long ride out east on LI yesterday, halfway home my clutch cable snapped, or I thought it did. I remember thinking to myself, that &@#$ing cable is only 2 yrs old. And I just lube it last month! Rode the rest of the way home mostly slab and some hanging back waiting for green lights. Opened the cover and look what I found.

Wow, that seems like a very tough part to break. Do you have the HD clutch springs? Did you also throw in an extra steel plate? Just thinking through what could cause the XSive torque on that piece.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Ya got another one yet?

Comment

I should be tough to break, but I know exactly why it broke. When I changed the cable 2 yrs ago, I accidentally bent the plate, and just bent it back. That must have caused a fracture and it eventualy failed. It's very soft steel. Live and learn.

John, I don't have another one yet, but I have a 100 mile ride to PA wed to get the bike inspected, so I'm going to have to fabricate one for the time being. Also, thanks to Tod and Andreas for offering spares!

BTW, the cable is fine.

Comment

Randy - Looks like one of those times when a small mig welder would come in handy - but I'm sure a new/different part would be better. Where did it snap on you (highway, city street, etc.)? Seems like that part could really booger up your day if it broke at the 'wrong' time (like there's a 'right' time ) like when your reving the engine for a down shift as you come up behind a cement mixer.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            I should be tough to break, but I know exactly why it broke. When I changed the cable 2 yrs ago, I accidentally bent the plate, and just bent it back. That must have caused a fracture and it eventualy failed. It's very soft steel. Live and learn.

John, I don't have another one yet, but I have a 100 mile ride to PA wed to get the bike inspected, so I'm going to have to fabricate one for the time being. Also, thanks to Tod and Andreas for offering spares!

BTW, the cable is fine.
            That makes sense, looking at the picture.
            You can see where the top was fractured already. But it's in compression so it didn't matter much.
            The bottom part was doing all the work for two years.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

I had one bust in the same spot and I am sure for the same reason. Slipped while adjusting the clutch and bent it. Didn't bend it much but obviously it was enough.
              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
              X