Starter Solenoid test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Solenoid test

Been reading threads and just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Fixed all the wiring hacks, put in a new AGM batter from MikesXS (after rebuilding the battery box), upgraded the fusebox and cleaned the handlebar switches.

Fully charged the new battery to make sure I didn't have any low voltage issues and everything works except the starter button.

I tested it for with my continuity tester all the way back to where it plugs into the harness. Does what it should.

Turn the key on hit the starter button and nothing. Jump the solenoid and it fires right up.

I grounded the blue/white wire at the solednoid and nothing happens. I can see that it has power because the wire arcs when contacting it for ground.

Does this mean I need to replace the solenoid? If so, where do you guys recommend getting one from?

Thanks.
    Bothell, WA
    1980 XS1100SG

Just went through this last week with another member locally, and it sounds identical to what you're describing. He too had just installed a new fuse block, and didn't crimp one of the spade connectors correctly. I'd check the work at the fuse block first and make sure you're getting juice through all the new connections.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey GreatNW,

Sounds like you've done all of the troubleshooting required. I belive it was 3Phase/Scott that took apart his solenoid, it has contacts that can get corroded, and you might be able to clean them up and get it working again??
      Otherwise does sound like a replacment solenoid is in order!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yep sounds very similar to another bike I was helping dbeardslee with. We followed the power to the fuse box, through the fuse, had power on the connectors on both sides of the fuse. But we had no power at the handlebar engine stop switch. As Doug indicated, it was the crimp on connector on the "outlet" side of the fuse. Cut the connector off and stripped some wire to hook directly to the fuse block connector and all circuits were go!

If you get a spark when you ground the blue/white wire, then you have power through the solenoid. To be certain it is the solenoid, I would jumper power from the battery positive temrinal to the red/white wire to the solenoid, and then jump the blue/white to ground or to the neg of the battery. If it still does not turn over, it would have to be the solenoid.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey GreatNW,

Sounds like you've done all of the troubleshooting required. I belive it was 3Phase/Scott that took apart his solenoid, it has contacts that can get corroded, and you might be able to clean them up and get it working again??
          Otherwise does sound like a replacment solenoid is in order!
          T.C.
          T.C., one wire inside of the solenoid was broken. It made intermittant contact, mainly when I put the test probe on it or jumpered it to test. That about drove me even more nuts than I am already trying to find that problem.

GreatWhiteNorth, if you take off to<smack!> have voltage at the Blue/White wire with the key ON and it sparks when you ground it instead of cranking the starter, the solenoid plunger is frozen.

The plunger might just be rusted in place and you can tap it with a hammer to loosen it up. If the coil overheated, burned, swelled up and shorted the individual coils of wire to one another from water, old age or heat and overuse of the starter there's no way to fix it.

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks fellas!

3phase was on it. I had not used the bigger hammer technique yet. Fired up the diesel this morning, walked over to the bike grabbed the solenoid, hit if sharply four times with the electrical pliers (closest thing handy) turned on the key, pushed the starter button and HEY! it cranked!

Then I promptly smacked myself on the side of the head for not doing this earlier.

Waiting for caliper kits and a couple of small parts and I'll be rolling
            Bothell, WA
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Right on, it worked!

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
              X