died @ 55mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• died @ 55mph

Hello, today without warning, I was cruising along at 55mph, running smooth as silk, the motor died, pulled over tried to get it to fire, it fired once or twice, then didn't fire again, all of a sudden it backfired, loud, got it home, changed out the igniter box, nothing, checked fuses, all good, can't find the main fuse, this is a '79 standard I have put 75,000 miles on in the last eight years, without anything like this ever happening. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks 'Dog

I am guessing....

Is your charging system up to snuff? The TCI shuts off at 10.5V, and if you aren't getting a good charge that could be it.

Really, to be of any help, there needs to be more info. You checked all the fuses. that is a good first step. Also check the kill switch, and the main fuse is in its own little holder, just in front of the battery. check for a full charge, that you have fuel in the tank, and all the really basic stuff since it seems to be easiest to miss.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Second the charging system, I had a old kawasaki that'd run like a raped ape until the battery went flat on me. Then I could push start it maybe and get it home.
      1980 XS11SG
      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Pick-up coil wires?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Check the kill switch on the handlebar!! I've replaced TWO so far, one on each '79. The plastic goes bad, and breaks apart and the switch goes open, no spark.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I believe my charge system is doing great, never had an issue with the battery, turned over 8-10 times while jumping each fuse, in the main fuse box, then got it home, tried two different igniter boxes, finally the battery started turning it slower and slower. On my brother's '80 standard and on my project '80 special, the main fuse is on the leftside in front of the battery, can't find it on my '79 or old '78 standard, I flipped the kill switch several times while turning it over, I am going to take it apart and check it, while hunting for the problem. I will compile a list on Your posts, to check. I am 2nd owner of this bike, got it with only 12,000 miles on it, have since put 75,000 more on the bike, thanks again . Later 'Dog

Comment

...more things I know about my bike, fuse box is original, cap still snaps on and off with no problems, did the pick up coil fix about 50,000 miles ago, am going to see if it needs fixing again, it's a full bagger, used to pop wheelies on it before the miles started adding up, LOL. clutch still pulls great, never had to fix the 2nd gear issue, hve kept the cam chain adjusted, oil changed spark plugs changed, has stock air box, kept filter changed, have ridden it on a lot of 2-300 mile days, several 500 mile days, it has never left me stranded til now. Thanks Again. Later 'Dog

Comment

Back to basics

Ok, this is getting pretty basic, but that is how I work on things, so don't feel offended please, you appear to be a good mechanic.

First, the main fuse would not be my first thought here. I have lost my main fuse on my SH and I can tell you, you get nothing, no lights, no phones, no motorcars, not a single luxury! Since you’re getting it to turn over, that means your starting circuit is intact and therefore the main is intact.

I would go back to basics of compression, fuel, and spark. Perhaps you have narrowed this down to spark already, but you did not say you ruled out the others. I would start with compression, run a check. It is almost as unlikely as the main fuse I know, but it is simple enough to do and rule that out.

Now that you have your plugs out from the compression check, only put three in and check the fourth for spark. I would probably keep going and check all four just to be sure. It’s fairly simple as well and will tell you a few things, like coil failure, ect.

Since you have the original fuse box, as I am sure you have read more than once on here, it has a strong tendency to go south. Check for voltage on each side of your ignition circuit fuse. Your connector could be bad on either side of it. I have read more than once on here where someone said their fuses looked great and then find they pulled one out and the connector crumbled in their hand. I know when I changed my fuse box out (my bike was running fine at the time) a few of my connectors broke up when I pulled them from the holder. In fact, I recently worked on a bike where someone had just replaced the fuse box and could not get it to turn over, the end result was, when they put on one of the crimp connectors, they did not get a good connection. It all looked great, but when we cut off the connector and put the bare wire to the other side of the fuse, it cranked.

Hope some of this is useful to you.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

I should sleep more before I post....

Yeah, if your bike is cranking, then the ignition fuse circuit is good and that is all that should effect the spark I think. Hmmm....maybe you are out of gas? Plugged petcock(s) Plugged fuel line?
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

The main fuse for the older xs11's is in the right-side fuse panel. It controls running lights and then all of the other fuses.

Originally posted by scalded dog View Post
                    On my brother's '80 standard and on my project '80 special, the main fuse is on the leftside in front of the battery, can't find it on my '79 or old '78 standard, (snip) . Later 'Dog
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

When I first got Betsy she had the annoying habit of going dead for no good reason. Finally tracked it down to a wire behind the fuse block that had the insulation burned off, and it was wiggling around and shorting out the works. Taped it up and haven't had a problem since. Also found one burned inside the headlight bucket which was also repaired. My $.02
                      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks guys, just had filled up, one of the guy's in the club I ride with, got gas at the same place his bike was running fine, we had been on a fallen police memorial ride, to raise money for the familys they left behind, there were about 1000 bikes that showed up. bike was running great so unless I broke a cam/main drive chain, compression was great.going to check for spark tommorow. as well as all the connections, the wire behind the fuse box may be someting, nuetral light and oil light was flashing on and off as I applied pressure to the fuse metal pane behind the box. Will keep everyone informed as I work on this, Thanks again. later 'Dog

Comment

hey scalded dog,
                          u say u just filled up with fuel and then it shortly died there after is that right?
                          the distance u travelled could be the remaining fuel left in the float bowls.
                          Did you get the correct fuel? Maybe the fuel might be contaminated?
                          Could be worthwhile draining and putting new fuel in.
                          Have u checked for spark yet with the plugs out of the engine?
                          Last edited by petejw; 04-26-2009, 07:20 PM.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

as well as all the connections, the wire behind the fuse box may be someting, nuetral light and oil light was flashing on and off as I applied pressure to the fuse metal pane behind the box.
                            Take the fuse panel assembly off the right side of the bike, and let it hang by the wires. Check the white six way connector BEHIND the panel for "burned" looking connectors. This is the main charging system, and one of three major problem spots as the wires get old. Number two is the connector at the ignition switch, and number three is the pick-up coil wires.
                            If you still have the ORIGINAL fuse box, REPLACE IT. 30 years is too long, and it WILL fail on you. It may have already done so, from what you said.(see quote above) Good luck with it, electrical can sometimes be a royal pain....
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Fuse block mod is the best mod i have done 2nd being XS chops filter-gets alot of looks!
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              xschop K & N air filter setup
                              Dynojet Recalibration kit
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                              X