Petcock rebuild tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock rebuild tip

I have seen a few people in the past talk about rebuilding the petcocks and not getting them to seal. I worked on mine and this is what I found:

Notice the pits and gouges in the surface of the valve. So, I commenced to resurfacing the valve. I used a bit of 300 wet or dry followed by 600.

The result:

It doesn't leak. It is a tad tough to turn though, I imagine from the new o-ring and gasket.
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-25-2009, 09:09 PM.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

I did the same thing to all of mine, except that I used Mothers Milk polishing compound to finish them. Also, I tried to smooth the edges of the holes so that the rubber gasket is less likely to be damaged by sharp edges whille turning. I haven't had to replace the gaskkets since (years).
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

strangely enough, I find putting a bit of grease on the o-ring makes them turn a lot easier.

The gas is on the other side, so the grease stays, I think.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

BTW, you probably know this, but there is a right and a left side handle for the petcocks. They definately don't work right if you mix them up.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I resurfaced my petcocks this way last summer and it was well worth it! Even in the off position they wouldn't hold 100%, but after this little gem of a repair they hold perfectly.

It's easy to do and I would highly recommend it to anybody.
          I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
          3J6 003509
          Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
          Fuse Block Upgrade
          Mike's XS Green Coils
          Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
            strangely enough, I find putting a bit of grease on the o-ring makes them turn a lot easier.

The gas is on the other side, so the grease stays, I think.
            +1
            And it makes getting the O-ring in much easier. I also put a light coat on the sealing face, so it won't distort when you first turn it dry.
            I use Chapstick. Don't leave home without it!
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Working...
            X