Gas sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas sensor

I managed to find one that works but have a different problem. Leaks. It leaks out of the seal now, where can I find a new one or do something for it? I am kidna excited because everything works now but just need to stop gas from leaking down onto the top of my engine

Thanks
    Jaron

'79 XS11 SF
    Charley Classical Clunker
    (Now with LED accents)

Hi Guy,

Go to www.bikebandit.com look at Yamaha, 1979, XS1100sf, and then Switches/Relays....NOT FUEL TANK , you'll find this item:
    28: GASKET,SENDER UNIT
    22895-001 Enter 0-99 $8.76
    Or, find a hardware store or place...perhaps even auto store that sells sheets/sections of VITON type RUBBER sheet material and make one for yourself!? Can't use regular rubber, not FUEL resistant!
    T.C.

PS, are you sure it's leaking around seal, and not from the center of the sensor??
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have that gasket from a sensor i bought off of E-bay that i don't need-PM me if you need it.When i replaced my sending unit with a new unit-i used the same gasket.I put some high temp RTV around the edges of the new unit.So far so good!
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

not 100% sure where it is leaking from but I do know that there is gas everywhere now, jsut waiting to run out and the I will pull it off and play with it some more, I hate full tanks of gas, I hate even more putting the fuel lines back on. Thanks for pointing out that gasket I will probably buy that but sinece my other one didn't look like it was in that bad of shape I may have to get some sort of sealent.
        Jaron

'79 XS11 SF
        Charley Classical Clunker
        (Now with LED accents)

Comment

I too rtv-ed the fuel meter gasket in place, and never had a problem. When I was first dealing with mine I kept a long piece of heater hose and a five gallon gas can handy. I could siphon the gas out of the tank in a couple minutes with that big hose, so leak messes were kept to a minimum. Is this the first time you've put gas in the tank or was it sealing well before pulling the meter?
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by HiGuy View Post
            I managed to find one that works but have a different problem. Leaks. It leaks out of the seal now, where can I find a new one or do something for it? I am kinda excited because everything works now but just need to stop gas from leaking down onto the top of my engine
            Hi Jarod,
            the rubber seal is only half the system. The dead sender didn't leak, right?
            The gasket must seal the 4 bolt holes as well as the sender itself, you stone sure it's OK for that?
            Did you do something medieval to the big square hole in the gas tank? Or did the replacement sender's dreaded PO rip the replacement out with a prybar?
            Check both metal seal surfaces for being flat, smooth and free of gouges or chunks of stuff. If the gasket looks OK but the metal surfaces are FUBAR a gas-proof wondergoop is your most hopeful fix.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X