Carbs size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs size

So im going to the bone yard tomorrow to pick up some carbs, i have a 79 special. so i need to know if there is a difference between the years and the specials or not.

any info would be greatly appreciated
    '79 XS1100SF

78-79 are the same, with minor jet changes and the 80-81 are the same.

You need the early ones if you want to stay stock. Any of the years will work on any bike.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

awesome, thank you, dont really want to stay stock, just want it to run
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Don't know if you've already left or not, but as Craz said, the 78-79 are same, and 80-81 are mostly same, but the major parts...ie vacuum slides will NOT interchanged between the 2 separate year sets. SO...if you have mostly working 78-79 carbs, and you want to have spare parts for those carbs, then you will want another set of same year, but if yours are just totally trashed, then you can just shoot for the later carbs, their parts are more available and price friendly, just not quite as tunable...no notches in the vacuum slide needle position vs. the early models!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Unless your in Canada! They gave us the 5 position adjustable needles. You can buy them at MikesXS (XS650direct.com for us canucks).

Mikes calls them 'upgraded needles.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Don't know if you've already left or not, but as Craz said, the 78-79 are same, and 80-81 are mostly same, but the major parts...ie vacuum slides will NOT interchanged between the 2 separate year sets. SO...if you have mostly working 78-79 carbs, and you want to have spare parts for those carbs, then you will want another set of same year, but if yours are just totally trashed, then you can just shoot for the later carbs, their parts are more available and price friendly, just not quite as tunable...no notches in the vacuum slide needle position vs. the early models!
            T.C.
            I dont have any of the carbs. when the guy gave me the bike he wanted to keep them.

i have a 79, but the 80-81 will work since i dont have any of the parts right?
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

As I understand it and have read of others use, yes, any of the year carbs will work on any year XS. The XJ carbs have a different choke setup so it is trickier to get them to work, but some have reported doing so.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by JC FC View Post
                I dont have any of the carbs. when the guy gave me the bike he wanted to keep them.

i have a 79, but the 80-81 will work since i dont have any of the parts right?
                Yes, they will work, but you need to remember to jet according to the carbs, not the YEAR of bike! The 80-81's...unless you get a set of those transitional bastard 80 sets.... will use the 110-120 type of main jets, and the pilot jet towers in the carbs are NOT capped, they feed directly from the float bowl. The early model 78-79 carbs used larger main jets, 135+ because they shared their supply with the pilots via a channel between the towers, and the pilot towers are capped.

The later carbs also have the float bowl vent built into the inlet bell, so you don't have the upper "T"s to run to vent lines. They also use the newer VITON tipped float valves, and an O-ring around the float seat vs. the flat washer, and the plastic floats vs. brass.

But as mentioned, there were some 80 carbs that folks have reported having that HAVE the sharing tunnel, larger main jets, and pilot towers capped!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

okay, the carbs i picked up are 78-79, im assuming from how you have described them. lol...but now...i need that vacuum thingy that you connect all the fuel lines into first...didnt have it

so im looking for one if anyone is selling
                  '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Doc Oct

The Octupus ???
                    XJ1100K
                    Avon rubber
                    MikesXS black coils
                    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                    MikesXS front master
                    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                    Progressive fork springs
                    CIBIE headlight reflector
                    YICS Eliminator

Comment

lol i dont know what its called. but the lines from the fuel valves on the tank goto it...umm Number 15 in this schematic
                      or is it even needed? can i run it with out it? like just plug the hose that doesnt split to the carb
                      Last edited by JC FC; 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM.
                      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Right

We call it the octupus . You can plumb your lines so as to not use it but you have to remember to turn on and off your petcocks
                        XJ1100K
                        Avon rubber
                        MikesXS black coils
                        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                        MikesXS front master
                        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                        Progressive fork springs
                        CIBIE headlight reflector
                        YICS Eliminator

Comment

now THATS what i wanna hear! lol turning them off...no problem lol
                          that really just made my day!!
                          now tomorrow, see if it starts!
                          so excited XD
                          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Originally posted by JC FC View Post
                            now tomorrow, see if it starts!
                            Damn, forgot i needed new carb holders lol, just ordered them...THEN i will see if she starts
                            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

XS650 for parts

One of the carbs on my SG had a broken float post and helped me to a fire. I sourced a pair of carbs from a XS650SH. I replaced my damaged carb body with one from the XS650. They are the same.

Keep in mind that the XS650 is far more plentiful than the XS1100 and the XS650 folks are always upgrading to round slides, flat slides, Dellorto pumpers, etc. This keeps stock carb parts plentiful if you know where to look.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X