Electrical gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical gremlin

Ok, I need some ideas. Bike runs fine. Shut down and then try to restart, no spark. Hold the starter button in and switch the ignition off and back on, it fires up. Anyone solve a problem like this? It could be ignition switch, coils, ignition module, or some resistor?

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
    Second bike is an FJR1300.
    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Sounds like poor connections. Have you cleaned the connectors? I would also check all the ground connections.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Looks like you've already troubleshot it, , take the ignition switch off, and take it apart. DISCONNECT the battery first! The wires can come unsoldered to the terminal plate in the switch, as well as just corrosion on the plate, etc.! May need just a cleaning, or resweating the wire!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by RUSH View Post
        Ok, I need some ideas. Bike runs fine. Shut down and then try to restart, no spark.
        Do you mean the starter cranks the engine but there's no spark or nothing happens at all?

Hold the starter button in and switch the ignition off and back on, it fires up. Anyone solve a problem like this? It could be ignition switch, coils, ignition module, or some resistor?
        In addition to what T.C. and Ray suggested: a weak/low battery or bad charging system.

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____
        ♬
        2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
        ♬

Comment

I second going though the ignition switch and I would also recommend going through the handlebar kill switch. I've seen these way corroded and rusty. Clean it up well if it's not falling apart and pack with dielectric grease.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Ya .. I had to rebuild my main switch and it was easy but the parts are small. Rebuilding that switch allowed me to continue to need only one key for all locks.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I once rebuilt my switch too, took most of an afternoon to do it right. I was very proud of myself for taking the time and effort to do such a nice job. After I got it all back together I found that the gremlin had not been living in the switch, he was living in the plug connector in the wiring going to the switch!!!

JAT!!
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but, what is the best way to test if your hazard flasher unit is good? Only thing on my bike that does not work is hazards.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

I'd start with the hazard switch itself. The hazard switch is the likely culprit, the design is poor. Sitting low in the housing they tend to collect moisture and corrode. It can be cleaned, but it's going to take patience because of all the small parts.

Comment

Randy,
                    I kind of figured that, and looking at the wiring diagram I see that the only other thing that works it is that hazard relay (yeah not flasher). So I thought it would be alot easier to eliminate that relay as the problem than to tear into that switch only to find it is the relay.

If I simply jumper around the relay, pull the connector and jumper the r/y to the t/y wire, will that tell the tail of the relay? Then I will know for sure that the hazard switch is the issue and make my decision if it is worth it to go that deep.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Hey DGxser,

The 4 way flasher relay is just a 2 prong flasher, it's separate from the turn signal flasher, usually under the seat behind the battery. Just unplug it, plug it into your turn signal connector and try it out, if the turn signals still work, then you know the flasher relay is good! Remember, it might take trying to plug it into the turn signal receptacle one of 2 ways to get it to work!? JAT!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X