clutch basket noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch basket noise

When I start my bike, there is a loud rattling noise from the clutch basket area. After it runs for a minute, the noise goes away.
    I first noticed it after doing the second gear fix last year. (I replaced the fiber plates and springs at the same time.) Doesn't mean it wasn't doing it before, I just picked up that it was a different noise than my exhaust shield that rattles when I was down there looking for leaks after re-assembly. I have taken the clutch assembly apart twice and I'm pretty sure everything is correct and in the right place. I didn't see any metal shavings when I opened it up, no obvious problems jumped out at me
    I'm using 20 w 50 castrol. It seems like the noise stops as oil is pumped up to the clutch basket. I ran it with the clutch cover off. Like I said, after the bike runs for a minute or so, there isn't any noise... No clutch slippage at all.

Suggestions?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Hey Doug,

Did you check/inspect the throwout bearing in the star plate while you were in there to make sure it was spinning smoothly, no binding?

Can you pull the clutch lever in any and have the sound decrease?

Have you taken the adjuster plate cover off, and checked the adjustment lately, it the throwout lever snug, cable slack snug?

You can take a wooden dowel/broomstick handle and check near the top and bottom end of the engine to verify where you are hearing it rattle from, might not be clutch, vs. cam chain, vs. exhaust pipe manifold, etc.!? JAT!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey Doug,

Did you check/inspect the throwout bearing in the star plate while you were in there to make sure it was spinning smoothly, no binding? yes

Can you pull the clutch lever in any and have the sound decrease? no change

Have you taken the adjuster plate cover off, and checked the adjustment lately, it the throwout lever snug, cable slack snug? well adjusted

You can take a wooden dowel/broomstick handle and check near the top and bottom end of the engine to verify where you are hearing it rattle from, might not be clutch, vs. cam chain, vs. exhaust pipe manifold, etc.!? JAT!?pretty much tracked it down to clutch basket
      T.C.
      When I had the cover off, I twisted the throttle and the noise stopped when oil started slinging off.
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

Hey again,

Okay, I read that you ran it with the side cover off for a short time. There aren't really any loose parts in the clutch basket assembly because the 6 springs keep things quite snug in it! However, the oil pump gear is driven off of the backside of the clutch housing/gear, and one member broke his putting his back together. Could there be a chance when you did you repair that you might have had the teeth a little off and possibly bent the pump gear enough so that it might rub or such until it gets spinning and pumping???

Can't think of much else in that area that would rattle aside from the primary chain, or the starter clutch, etc!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TD,
          I pulled it back apart twice and didn't see anything that looked wrong. No bright spots, no metal. Checked my washer positions, made sure the clutch plates were all in the correct order, made sure the torque settings were correct. Once it warms up, it sounds like a sewing machine; very smooth and quiet.
          I don't know what it could be and was hoping one of you geniuses on here would have the answer...

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Working...
          X