Left side panel attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left side panel attachment

What is the bottom tab supposed to attach into?
    79 standard
    Thanks
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    Putting it together........

Like Bill Gates sez, it's not a flaw, it's a feature.

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
    79 standard
    Thanks
    Hi Giggity,
    I'm not sure if the 79 Standard shares this unique concept but on my '80 Special the bottom tab of the left-side panel latches into a lock that works with the ignition key. Presumably to keep the bad people from stealing the battery and tool kit.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yep, this was a 'fav' feature on these bikes. Of course, that's why it's so hard to find good sidecovers because most parts bikes don't come with keys and the tab gets busted when the new owner tries to get the cover off....

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

My side cover suffered an attack from some clown at a shop that i'd taken the bike to for carb balancing. He glued it back together and never said a word to me. A few days later I noticed it loose and discovered it broken. I went back and gave him an ear full but he maintained it wasnt him, and that it must have been broken before. Yeah right...

With a small peice of alloy, some epoxy resin and a couple of 1/8 countersunk brass machine screws I managed to fashion a working latch again which served me well for a few years, until I replaced it last year.

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Nice work on that Walker! I wish my PO had done that well. Here's what I have to suffer with. Needless to say, it doesn't actually lock...

1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Plastex is really good stuff to repair stuff like broken tabs. If you have a good one to make a mold, you can actually remake the parts better than the originals, and it's so easy I can do it .

Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-21-2009, 08:18 AM.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Left side panel question

How is the bottom suppose to connect? I'm missing the bar that holds the battery on the side. Does that have anything to do with securing the cover?
              Thanks
              1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The cover should have a tab that will lock into the lock under the battery box.
                The left side cover is attached with lock and key for some reason,maybe the engineers thought it would deter battery thieves?
                That missing tab is why those covers are hard to come by.
                Some guys just fab up a tab to make th ecover work as is.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

The bottom of the left side cover has a plastic "hook" that goes into a KEY LOCKED latch on the lower part of the frame. The "NEWBIES" try to just pull the side cover off, and break the latch. You can try and bid on any '78 or '79 side cover, they both work on the standards.
                  If your bike IS a Special, the '79 is a "one year only", and harder to find than hens teeth!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've also seen where a PO has broken off the lock tab, and it is still stuck in the lock. Then there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the tab to go.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

My left side cover flopped a bit due to the bottom tab on the cover not fully attaching. I don't recall a keyed lock on it. Just a T shaped part in the plastic cover that went in a slot.

All I did was squeeze some orange silicone on it, and put it on and hold it in place til it dried. No more flop
                      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

I just looked, and my cover has a tab that looks like it should attach to something, but there is nothing for it to connect to. Can anyone put up a pic of what should be there?
                        Thanks
                        1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
                          I Can anyone put up a pic of what should be there?
                          Thanks
                          Someone did, check this thread..http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21975

Scroll to bottom and check pics. Shows tab, and location.
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I'll have to check mine in the morning. lol

Maybe mine was just "unlocked" or something. I used some orange silicone to put mine on and keepit from flopping. haha
                            '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

broken side cover tab

Just the hook was broken off by PO on mine. The thread works well, and after two attempts, one with JBWeld, and one using epoxy, I found that I needed some type of backing to reinforce the mixture. Some self stick fiberglass drywall tape--the netting type worked great. I used scissors to trim, then used JB weld and got a reliable bond. Filed to shape and I haven't had a problem with it re-breaking. Just a helpful hint. Kim
                              '81 XS11 LH (MNS)

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I have an eleven!"

"Excess is easier to say than XS,"

Comment

Working...
                              X