Kerker pipes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerker pipes question

I have found a set of 4 into 1 Kerker exhaust headers and pipe, but it does not have the muffler. Can I put any muffler on it as long as the pipe size matches? Or should it be a matching Kerker muffler? Would it be more difficult to add a non Kerker muffler for tunning compaired to using a stock Kerker muffler?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

The bulk of the air flow is determined by the actual headers and collector that is part of the headers. The muffler does however, creates the back pressure pluses that help the engine run well and of course silence the noise somewhat. A kerker muffler may still be available for it and if not then perhaps a current Kerker muffler with the same size collector DIA may be available. I would go Kerker parts if you can get them but in a pinch go with what fits because you can modify the baffles in the muffler if you need to.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
      ...The muffler does however, creates the back pressure pluses that help the engine run well and of course silence the noise somewhat....
      Rob
      What is the proper back pressure? How will I know what is proper?

Thanks

1980 XS 1100SG
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

If I could answer that question for you I would not be doing what i currently do for a living. Kerker, RC engineering and perhaps 2 other performance pipe manufacturers that made pipes for the XS11 did all the math and testing to come up with what works. Everything from header pipe DIA, Collector DIA, Collector length, How the headers meat the collector etc, etc affect not just the overall performance but also where the power will be in the RPM range. So in a nut shell I can't tell you how to recreate the "perfect" muffler' for that pipe. What you might do if you can't find a Kerker part is ask someone who has one to do some detailed measuring for you. Baffle length, Baffle DIA, Baffle stop plate placement, Baffle hole DIA and ether put one together yourself of find a muffle that is as close as possible to the same sort of setup. There's actually a thread here about a lad who just got his Kerker muffler apart. He may be able to help with details.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Ozz, my $.02. Kerker mufflers/cans show up on Ebay fairly often. I suspect most have the same bend angle, and that the collectors were changed from model to model. Just a hunch, not sure, but if I got a good deal on a collector, I would buy a can just to find out. You can always sell it if it doesn't work.
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

You can ALSO get NEW Kerker mufflers! They fit the older pipes, and you can ALSO get parts for them. I've done it on my older '79, was about $80 Us last time. That was just the baffles, but you CAN buy almost everything BUT the headers. Do a google online, and you'll fing the site. IIRC they are now part of another company.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank You all for the great info.

1980 XS 1100SG
              Pod Filters
              DynoJet Kit
              T.C.'s Fuse Block
              V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

kerker header and muffler

i have one on a bike i just bought as a donor will be looking to sell it once disassembly starts.some scrape damage and a small hole on one pipe is the most notable damage, on the plus side the muffler comes apart very easy unlike the one that posted earlier.
                79 xs11sf
                80 xs11g-bagger
                81 xs11g-project(trike/chop?)
                80 xs400 special(wife's trainer)

Comment

xs1100rider
                  kerker header and muffler

i have one on a bike i just bought as a donor will be looking to sell it once disassembly starts.some scrape damage and a small hole on one pipe is the most notable damage, on the plus side the muffler comes apart very easy unlike the one that posted earlier.
                  Really... I PM'ed you about the your Kerker.
                  Last edited by 81xsproject; 04-22-2009, 07:13 AM.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                  X