Clutch plate interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch plate interchangeability

If this question has been asked before then I just couldn't pull it up in a search of the fora.

Do the XS650 and XS1100 use the same clutch plates?

I'm buying some other parts from MikesXS and I figured while I'm there I'd pickup an extra steel plate.....if it will fit.
    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
    3J6 003509
    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
    Fuse Block Upgrade
    Mike's XS Green Coils
    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Something tells me they are not the same. On bikebandit, the XS650 steel plates are # 28308-001, and cost $20, while the plates for the XS are 22669-001, and cost only $9.17. The actual Yamaha OEM part number for the item you want is 2H7-16325-00-00.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Partsnmore.com has them for $5 a piece.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Partsnmore.com has them for $5 a piece.
        Thanks Tod, but it looks like all they have is friction plates, I'm looking for a steel plate. I'm not in dire need of it, but I figured if it's the right size I'll get it while I'm ordering other parts since I'm already gonna be paying for shipping.

1980 SG
        3J6 003509
        Fuse Block Upgrade
        Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Sorry.. I guess I should have read better.

Just about anyone on here could ship you one if nobody lived close to you.. but by the time you pay for a mailer and postage, you could just about order a new one.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I can't find anything confirming the plates are interchangeable and all other signs are pointing towards no.

I went ahead and ordered my other parts because I need them ASAP so I can get the bike back on the road by the time the rain goes away later this week.

Thanks to anyone who pondered or researched my question.

1980 SG
            3J6 003509
            Fuse Block Upgrade
            Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Eric - I gave my brother (you met him when you were over here) my old steels when I changed my clutch. He still hasn't done anything with his, and I'm sure I could get one back from him. I'll check with him tomorrow (Tuesday) and let you know.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Eric - I talked to my brother this morning, and I've got you covered on the steel.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Awesome! Last time I took 'er out I did a slippage test (Read: Shift from 3rd to 4th at ~8.5K) and there is still some noticeable slip in there. Adding the extra steel will probably almost eliminate it.

1980 SG
                  3J6 003509
                  Fuse Block Upgrade
                  Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

That, and new springs. Have you checked the length on the springs to see if they're still within limits?

Comment

I put new HD (that's heavy duty, not the other HD) springs in last summer and that helped tremendously. It used to be that I couldn't wind it out past about 5K with any kind of load on the engine without a bad slip, now I have to try a little to get it to slip.

1980 SG
                      3J6 003509
                      Fuse Block Upgrade
                      Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Eric - You're probably right. I'll stop over and pick up the steel for you tomorrow.

Comment

Eric - I just picked up the steel from my brother, although it was a little tense there for a minute. I went over to get it and he said 'I don't remember you bringing them over.' I said 'I do' and the search commenced. We scoured that garage for about thirty minutes, and finally found them in the only box out there marked 'Motorcycle Parts.' Go figure. Anyway, it's in the man cave now.

Comment

Working...
                          X