Rear Brakes....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
    Perhaps you are running out of pedal travel before you run out of piston travel???
    T.C.
    Now there's an interesting question!! I'd be willing to bet DG is already in the man-cave!
    TC, I remember Prom's statement in your floorboard thread, about meeting you in person, and just staring at your cranium, wondering how all that info fits....
    I think I would probably do the same, By the way does anyone know how he's doing?????
    Kinda miss the spice
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Comment

Hey Renegade,

I really don't know that much!! There are many members on here that know much more than I with regards to the internal workings of these machines, the real nuts and bolts stuff, like Tod/Trbig, John, Ken Talbot, BikerPhil, 3Phase, DennyZ, Skids, DiverRay, Prom, 81XSproject, and many others...apologies if I didn't mention you!

I'm mostly a shadetree survivalist. Yeah, I've had some experience with rebuilding the topend, and other restorative projects on my machine, but I'm no engineer, no electrician, no mechanic, no life!! That's why I'm here as a caretaker, to help steer folks towards the info if I don't know the answer, etc.! I don't get a chance to say it, but this site would not be what it is without all of the above member's contributions and more!!

As for Prom, I think he's doing okay, he was on a little while back, but I think his comments about using front tires on rear wheels wasn't as well received or heeded like he thought it would be. He's been rethinking his career and off time since his heart attack, and being here was becoming a bit mundane and boring...same stuff seemingly rehashed over and over again, and he's got better things to spend his precious time on....I think!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I really don't know that much!!

apologies if I didn't mention you!

I'm mostly a shadetree survivalist.

As for Prom, I think he's doing okay,
        .... and he's got better things to spend his precious time on....I think!?
        T.C.
        You, Sir, are being modest....but I know what you mean

don't apoligize, Like you, a shade tree wrench, no formal training in anything but driving a damn truck,
        Just been wrenching for about 40 of my 39 years

Good to here he's well, and aint we all got better things to do?????
        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
        My Photo Bucket

Comment

Renegade, was not my brakes acting up, I just have one rotor warped out of spec and another that is warped but within spec that are now spares. I got a set off of fleabay a month or so ago. Just can't pitch them, and would love to get them in shape to be backups or usable by someone else in need some day. Hmm...grinding....can't exactly hurt them.

Ohhh...and TC...add XSively humble to your self description. You have straightened out my misguidance on more than one occasion and certainly come up with some really cool mods and repairs!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I really don't know that much!!
            T.C., you've likely forgotten more than most will learn and remember for more than a fortnight!

Glad Prom's okay. :grouch:

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Glad Prom's Ok.

Wrote a lengthly reply, but the site kicked me off before I posted it. That's kind of annoying.

TC, a TiAln coated tool might cut a brake rotor if the are no slots or holes, but a interrupted cut won't work. I do have some clearance in the pedal/MC movement. I'm just going to replace the rotten thing, the MC I mean. When I get back to work I'll look into the cup grinding wheel thing to see if I can refinish my spare rotors.

Guess I need to stop being so long winded about my replys. Anybody have a XS11 MC to sell?
              1979XS1100SF
              K&N's and drilled airbox
              Jardine 4in1
              Dunlop Elite 3's
              JBM slide diaphragms
              142.5 main jets
              45 pilot jets
              T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
              750/850 FD mod.
              XV 920 Needle Mod.
              Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
              Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

If the bike is supposed to have a 3/4" bore cylinder but has a 11/16" instead, that's what is causing the 'hard' pedal. A larger bore moves more fluid, but requires more effort for the same line pressure; and line pressure is what applies the brake.

Larger bores are used when operating two calipers, and the reasoning is:

You need to move more fluid.

Because you're applying two brakes (more friction area), less pressure is needed.

With the larger bore, you probably don't have enough mechanical advantage in the pedal/lever setup to make it work right. Although there may be another problem too, but this is not helping...

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

There is a listing on Ebay for a guy that resurfaces our rotors. It's pricey.

Just look under xs1100
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                  X