Fuse block question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse block question

Is it possible for me to use this style fuse bolck to replace the original on the bike? And does anyone have a wiriing diagram for the '81 LH?
    '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
    '86 VF500F
    '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Nope!

Hey Black,

That fuseblock is a GANG fuse block, has one large power input lead, and then several fused branches coming off it it. Ours uses several circuits, each one requiring a separate fuse between a pair of the wires, and so you need one like this!

If you'll follow This Tech Tip Link, you'll find out how you can order one!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Don't the three brown wires on that are located on the bottom of the original fuse block eventually tie in together down the line? And if that's the case, then can they be soldered together and be used on the single terminal of the fuse panel then connect the opposite wires of those brown wires to the outer spades using at least 3 fuses?

If that can be done I would like to do that and then separate a section of the large lead on the fuse panel to use for the two blue wires that are located on the far left of the original fuse block. I would make sure to weather proof the new panel after all was done.

I know this may sound like I'm trying to make more work for myself this way but some people just like to do things different.

Previous ride:
      '86 VF500F
      '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

They are seperate circuits. The browns do not tie together. You need to get a circuit diagram.
        Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
        1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
        23mm float height
        120 main jets
        42.5 pilot jets
        drilled stock airbox with K&N
        Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
        spade fusebox
        1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
          Don't the three brown wires on that are located on the bottom of the original fuse block eventually tie in together down the line? And if that's the case, then can they be soldered together and be used on the single terminal of the fuse panel then connect the opposite wires of those brown wires to the outer spades using at least 3 fuses?

If that can be done I would like to do that and then separate a section of the large lead on the fuse panel to use for the two blue wires that are located on the far left of the original fuse block. I would make sure to weather proof the new panel after all was done.

I know this may sound like I'm trying to make more work for myself this way but some people just like to do things different.
          UMMMM NO! that won't work
          sounds like some one else has been in the fuse box,
          you really do need to get a wiring diagram for the bike,
          my XS has 4 circuits, every one has it's own fuse,
          The XJ's, in fact, every bike I've had my hands on has seperate circuits
          The fuse box that TC posted the link is the style you need, not the one you posted, sorry
          1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
          My Photo Bucket

Comment

Ok. Cool. I appreciate the feedback. I'll be sure that the curcuits stay separate when I install a new fuse block. Thanks.

Previous ride:
            '86 VF500F
            '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Alright; now I don't mean to be a PITA but after looking at these two wiring diagrams:
              1. here and
              2. here
              I'm under the impression that the three brown wires that are on the same side of the fuse block tie in together. If I'm looking at the diagram wrong then I think that I need help knowing what I'm looking at.

Previous ride:
              '86 VF500F
              '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Hmmmmm...

The three brown wires could be tied together according to the diagram but I think the fuse box you have taps all the circuits off the same feed. How would you keep the fourth separate? It doesn't share the same brown feed with the others. Would you rig up something separate for that circuit? Why go to all the trouble to adapt the box you have rather than using one that keeps all the circuits discreet like the original fuse box? Having said that, if you want to rig something up that keeps that one circuit separate from the other three, it should work.
                Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                23mm float height
                120 main jets
                42.5 pilot jets
                drilled stock airbox with K&N
                Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                spade fusebox
                1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I would just modify the fuse box to separate the fourth circuit. I know that basically everyone on here uses the same type of replacement fuse block but I have one like the pic in my first post laying around in the garage and I don't mind tinkering with it. I can separate all of the individual wires on that fuse block if I absolutely needed but if I don't need to then I won't.

And if I just use the fuse block I have, then I won't have to wait for one to come in the mail.

If I go ahead and use the one that I posted a pic of I'm pretty sure that someone's going to give me a hard time about it and say that I should have saved my efforts and waited to get the "right" one, but I figure that if I can it work then what harm is done.

Previous ride:
                  '86 VF500F
                  '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

I have gang fuseboxes on both my Std. and Spec. I figured the same thing, the brown's are tied together. I have a seperate single fuse holder for the main fuse red wires. I'll try to post a pic. later.
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 04-18-2009, 12:52 AM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

gang fuse box

Left side of fuse panel is used, right side are spares. The main fuse is in a seperate holder to the left.

Click to enlarge...
                      Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-19-2009, 12:19 AM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

That's just what I needed to see. Thanks. I'll be doing pretty much the same thing except that instead of using an inline fuse for the last circuit, I'm going to modify the inside of the fuse block to separate that circuit from the rest of them.

Previous ride:
                        '86 VF500F
                        '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Looks liek you got it figured out already, the brown wire branches or has taps off it to feed three fuses, the tail light is not from the brown wire because the brown wire is powered by the key switch and you want the tail/brake light to work with the key for the parking feature but not power the other items.

Only reason I see for the separate wire.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                          X