Stock or not stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock or not stock?

Wondering what any thoughts are on this as I reasemble. I have never been one to worry about keeping things original as I will probobly have this bike forever and resale isn't that great no matter what. But the reassembly has me thinking... I need some thoughts on the subject.
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

That kind of depends on what you're going for, and the condition of the stock parts. Some stuff like stock exhaust systems can be difficult to find and expensive when you do. Some stock parts have to be modified - like the pickup coil wires. If everything is in good shape, and you're not trying to wring every last drop of performance out of it, then you may want to stay stock. There may come a day when parts need to be replace when you have no choice but to do some mods. My $.02.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Impo...

I have always aspired to keep things as stock as possible, whether it's a bike, a car, or whatever. The older it gets... the more valuable it is to me that way. Anybody can, (and usually does), change things over the course of time. But to me, the real value lies in doing what's the tougher... keeping it the way it was intended to be from the start. But that's just me. I am a big fan of individualism, though. It's your bike, and thus yours to do what turns you on. To each his own.
      There are things about the XS-XJ's that are good mods, and there are many great threads to help you through them... like fuse box upgrades, 850 final drive conversions, 160 mph speedo upgrades, etc. But major mods have never been my thing. If it involves cutting the frame... I'd seriously have to think about that one. But one member is currently working on an electronic ignition and fuel injection conversion. To me, that's major, but WAY cool!
      I just viewed a member's bike here this am that he's putting up for sale (needs the cash)... and it's w/o a doubt one of the nicest I've ever seen. Why? Because not only is it in near new condition, (yet it's a '79 model), and mint clean, but he didn't modify it. To me... that's what's valuable. If I were buying one, I want it to be as "unmodified" as I can buy it. If I choose to make changes, they will be to suit my needs, and thus, comes the feeling of pride and accomplishment for what I've done. Hard to have personal pride if it's something someone else did, ya know? That's my 2 cents worth.
      Best of luck in your endeavors, whatever you decide, and ride safe!
      Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Customizing started way back when cars (and bikes) were relatively new, parts were scarce, and repair shops even more scarce.

People couldn't afford to fix accident damage (properly) all the time so jury-rigging was theorder of the day.

It also happens when you can't get what you want, so you try and change what you have. Also a major cause of divorce.

Some mods are to improve the handling/performance/safety of vehicle. Most vehicles have a shortcoming or two, and mods can overcome these, ie; bad fuse blocks, or poor charging etc.

The problem comes when you get people who see customization as an end unto itself. It doesn't matter what they start with it has to be changed. No rhyme or reason as to why, it just does.

My thing is, if you want to hack apart an antique, like the xs11, I am sure you can find lots of them, in boneyards, in rough but salvagable shape, for a lot less than using one in good shape already.

A real customizer doesn't start with any given bike, but just a frame, and goes from there. Often a custom frame.

My pride comes with having a 30 year old, museum piece, that is in awesome shape, and better yet, is not afraid to go anywhere. Resale doesn't really play into it. People are always coming up with nostalgia in their eyes as they tell me they had an XS11 'back when'.

I wouldn't be able to stand it if people came up, looked at my hacked XS and said 'Oh god, what did you do to that poor bike?'.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I have a '68 Firebird which I like to drive.
          If it was 100% correct, I would be afraid to leave the driveway with it.
          But, I won't do anything to it that can't be put back to stock.
          Same with the XS, I change stuff, but I have all the original parts, and it's all bolt on.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

It also happens when you can't get what you want, so you try and change what you have. Also a major cause of divorce.
            Craz - you crack me up . lol
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have 2, One that is completely stock and in near mint condition but this was a time consuming and costly endeavor. However, it is as a finished project, a beautiful piece of early 70s art. The bike draws a lot of attention any time I use it. It was a rewarding experience to rebuild this bike to near factory floor condition.
              The other one is a modified project bike with all the goodies that I could never have afforded all those years ago. Just about everything that is going on this bike as a modification is vintage or something that could have been done in its day
              In my opinion, if you have a complete bike and the parts are in good condition a restoration is the way to go. If you find yourself changing out parts over the years that you work on the bike, those less then restoration quality parts can be used to make a 2nd bike for regular use or sold to offset the cost of the restoration job.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                I have 2, One that is completely stock and in near mint condition but this was a time consuming and costly endeavor. However, it is as a finished project, a beautiful piece of early 70s art. The bike draws a lot of attention any time I use it. It was a rewarding experience to rebuild this bike to near factory floor condition.
                The other one is a modified project bike with all the goodies that I could never have afforded all those years ago. Just about everything that is going on this bike as a modification is vintage or something that could have been done in its day
                In my opinion, if you have a complete bike and the parts are in good condition a restoration is the way to go. If you find yourself changing out parts over the years that you work on the bike, those less then restoration quality parts can be used to make a 2nd bike for regular use or sold to offset the cost of the restoration job.
                Rob
                I think that is the way to do it, my next one will be bone stock.
                "Shop"
                Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                  Rob

yup, best way to go!
                  XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                  MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                  Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                  Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                  Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                  Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Working...
                  X