removing rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing rear axle

I just can't see how it comes apart to remove it from the swing arm. Please help I am trying to clean away the grease but somone had been religioulsy pumping in and the swing arm is full of it. I have heard of a pinch bolt but i am not sure what one is?
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Hi, some one else with more experiance should be along shortly but until then looking at the rear tire while facing the bike on the left side is the castel nut and on the right side the wheel shaft passes through the frame. the pinch bolt is there on the right side. see picture.

Remove the castel nut on the left side and loosen the pinchbolt on the right side you then should be able to gently drive the shaft out from the castel nut side. I hope this helps.

Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Owner of:
    1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
    140 mains
    45 pilot jets
    Floats at 24mm
    Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

yes, the pinch bolt is right there next to that custom exhaust hanger wire-thingie in the picture Sorry, ray, couldn't resist!

drooker, are you talking about removing the wheel axle or the drive shaft? If the wheel axle, loosen the large nut on the left first, then the pinch bolt.

Gee, i think Ray already wrote that. I'll shut up now...

Comment

I am moron here me post. I was so frustrated when I wrote the post I was thinking axle and meant the drive shaft. IDIOT! but after I posted I went out and decided not to be delicate any more and just yanked on it and it popped right off. thanks for your help next time I will try to be more patient and use the correct terms.

signed
        dumb xs guy...
        1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

Working...
        X