Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS1100 Special missing problem in the Philippines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Special missing problem in the Philippines!

Hi all, Ive posted some questions about this before, but havent gotten it fixed. I have an 80 XS1100 SG. Its done this since Ive gotten it. It runs just fine when I am giving it throttle, and screams at full throttle. But, when I lean it to maintain cruising speed, then give it just a little throttle, it starts missing on two cylinders. Carbs have been rebuilt with kits from the US. He had much trouble with 3 of the old jets, had to drill them out. He did it very carefully, didnt screw anything up, but is afraid one of the jets wont seat properly, and he thinks that is the problem. RPMs dont matter, it happens at 2000 or 6000, its just when i lean it and let it coast a bit, then give it a little throttle, it starts missing on the two cylinders. There is no other intermittent missing, just in this situation. They checked all the coil and wiring connections, and all looked good. We havent spliced the pickup wires yet, as they are hesitant to do it, said they looked fine, but Ive read much here that that is the heart of many problems. Think that is what this is?? And, when splicing the wire, do you just splice it where it connects, and where the movement is?? By that, I mean that the wire only moves at the end of the connection, is that the only small part of the wire to splice??? Thanks for all answers, please help me get this thing running right, God I love this bike!! Take care, and mabuhay from the Philippines!!

Randy
    Smiling in the Philippines
    1980 XS Eleven Special
    Running nicely thanks to this forum!

Pickup coil wires.
    When you go to cruise, the vac advance cranks them around.
    Probably a broken wire.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

Hey Hanger,

I remember your previous post, and the same symptoms as now, and the same suggestions, the PU coil wires. There is a TECH TIP by Ken Talbot that fully illustrates what to fix, how and where, and how much, what type of wires to use to replace the broken ones. Without pulling on the insulation, you can't see the broken wires, so if "they"..whoever they are....are afraid to mess with the PU coil wires, then YOU need to do it! Sorry, not trying to be mean, just honest, and you'll be wearing a nice big S.E.G. when it's fixed!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
        Pickup coil wires. When you go to cruise, the vac advance cranks them around.
        You could try disconecting the vac. advance hose under the left ignition cover and plugging it. Take her for a ride and see if there is any change. The P/U coil wires won't be flexing now. If it smooths out, you know for sure the wires need attention. JAT
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yap, wearing a big SEG!!! THANKS!!!

Thank you all so much. Read your replies, took the bike to the shop, they unhooked the vacuum advance, and it ran smoothe as silk. They spliced the wires with electric testing wire and , viola!!!! No more miss!!!! Sorry for not listening on the previous posts, should have spliced them before doing any work, but, from now on, will listen to you all with dutiful attention!! Again, thank you all so much, you have made my life here in the Philippines even more wonderful than it was!!! Salamat (thanks), and mabuhay (greetings) from Liloan, Cebu, Philippines!!!!!

Randy
          Smiling in the Philippines
          1980 XS Eleven Special
          Running nicely thanks to this forum!

Comment

Working...
          X