Lien on my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lien on my bike

Anyone in texas know what to do to get the title to my bike. I have heard of a lien and have the form for it. but can i get the title from this??? IDK

NEED THE TITLE OR IM GUNNA GIVE UP!!!
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Typically, a lien indicates someone else has an interest in the item. Like when you get a loan out for a car or bike, the company holding the loan has a lien on it.

I assume someone lost the title? In Ohio anyway, you can go back and run the VIN to find who it was last titled to, and for $20 get a new title. then they can sign it over to you, and get it transferred.

Do not know about Texas, but typically, Lien = bad thing!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

i dont know if you looked at my other post, i never got the title. This bike was from my girlfriends- grandpas- best friends- brothers- stepson. soo i got it from grandpa and it has been underneath a shed for 6 years. I cant get the title unless i am the owner.
      Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
      XJ maxim rear air shocks
      KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
      Pod Filters

Money pit.......
      BLACKED OUT

Comment

I'm guessing you will have to figure out who has the lien and payoff the balance owed to get the title.
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Sounds like step one is figure out who has title to the bike. Most likely whoever has the lien wrote the debt off long ago from that description. But until you know who owns the bike formally...has title... your dead in the water from what I know.

I have been told there is a process to get an abondoned vehicle titled again, but it can be lengthy. If it is someone as close as all that,, you may be better off going the title route.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

no lien

there is no lien on the the motorcycle. i was thinking of putting one on it but i just got off the phone with TXDOT (texas department of trans.) and they told me i had to get it appraised, bring them the approval and fill out a bunch of paperwork, then go get a surety bond, then take the bond to the courthouse to get the title. well to get it appraised it needs to be in one piece. well... if you have seen my pics..... its not. Im getting the frame back tomorrow from being powdercoated. so this is gunna take forever!
            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
            XJ maxim rear air shocks
            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
            BLACKED OUT

Comment

Since it's the frame that gets the title.. can you take the frame to get appraised? What's one worth.. $50?? How can you appraise something that doesn't exist at the moment? (A motorcycle)

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Or now might be a good time to get another frame with a title. I know that you just paid to get that one powdercoated but it might be cheaper and less of a hassle in the long run.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Go to your revenue office at the county seat; tell the lady that you're trying to get a title for a motorcycle. Tell her that the motorcycle is in a basket and has been passed down over the years in that condition through many other so-called owners. "...nobody knows who last had the title...." She may ask you to bring her a 'note' telling that it was a gift from whomever gave it to you. Do not call the motorcycle a "bike" while you're talking to her; call it a motorcycle. DO NOT DO THIS on the phone. You can practically disregard what you were told on the phone.......probably. If you'll go through these motions. Have the VIN with you. IF you know that there is somebody out there somewhere, alive, that money is owed on the machine that had this VIN, or, an owner that had this machine "mysteriously disappear", and would like to have it back,............this won't work. I've seen guys get titles this way; maybe they had to make a couple trips back to the revenue office. It really goes smoother when the guy wanting the title told the lady he was illiterate.

Be patient; it will take a couple weeks.
                  JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                  7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
                    i dont know if you looked at my other post, i never got the title. This bike was from my girlfriends- grandpas- best friends- brothers- stepson. soo i got it from grandpa and it has been underneath a shed for 6 years. I cant get the title unless i am the owner.
                    Hmmm if there's a lien on it that might be why it was "underneath" the shed
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

It sounded like you wanted to get a mechanics lien on it so you could get title to it. What your talking about is getting a bonded title. If you go to TXDot over on 290 near 610, you can pay them $2 and they will give you the owner of record and the appraised value of it. You then use ithe info at a bonding company to get a bonded title if you cant find the owner to have them apply for it. If it's someone you know well, it's an easy process. Call them before you go, I believe I had to have a pencil rubbing of the frame number when I went, Picture helps too. You can get it appraised at a dealer, helps if you know someone that will give you a low appraisal. They like to go by book value...

It was going to cost me close to $300 for the bonded title on a bike that I got for $150... I elected to go through ITS-Title Service and get title that way as the owner was deceased. Cost was $140. For that I got a Maine registration and plates which I used for a year and then transferred it to a Texas title this year at a cost of another $100.

Oh and if you want, I'll take it off your hands when you give up
                      Last edited by rpgoerlich; 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM.
                      Richard

Comment

oh i bet

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                        Oh and if you want, I'll take it off your hands when you give up
                        im not gunna give it up and ill get the title. I have put too much sweat equity into it and cash.
                        ill get it one way or another for sure!
                        Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                        XJ maxim rear air shocks
                        KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                        Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                        BLACKED OUT

Comment

http://www.getnewtitle.com/?area=how_it_works
                          careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Once I got the owner of record's name, I called everyone in the state with that name. It was when I hit a dead end literally when looking at old obits.

If it's like you say, a friend of your girl friends family, I'm sure you'll be able to get one of them to obtain title for you. Just offer to buy them dinner or something for the help. I've done it before and am in the process of doing it now for my XS11's title out of California. Most folks are just happy to help you get it back on the road for nostalgia's sake.

Here's where I went for the Title Info:
                            Texas Department of Transportation-Vehicle Titles & Registration
                            10000 Northwest Fwy # 105, Houston, TX‎ - (713) 681-6637‎

Here is some good info on a bonded title : http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm#Q5

Good Luck!
                            Richard

Comment

Did this about a year ago for my XS, mechanics lean. Cost me 100 bucks and took 30 days. Search craigslist for someone that does mech liens.
                              '07 Virago
                              '80 XS11G
                              '78 XS11E
                              '97 Grand Prix GTP
                              '99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

Working...
                              X