Throttle linkage slips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle linkage slips

I have now chosen the next thing to tackle on my bike. Evidently, the PO did some kind of strange rigging to keep the throttle linkage in the hand-grip. Can anyone share an image of what this thing is SUPPOSED to look like? Right now, the throttle cable tube tends to slide up and down in the hand-grip housing, and gives a huge amount of free-play. I'm just curious how this was set up originally.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

everything looks like mine except for the extra washer. The free play in the throttle cable can be adjusted with the long piece of hex stock and the lock nut AFTER your idle is set. I like to leave just a hair of slack to be sure my idle is my idle.

The grip sliding on the tube can be remedied by moving your housing up on the bar just a bit, to keep the grip from sliding back and forth too much in the housing. the other possibility is that your grip is not on the tube far enough.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Something tells me that the "U" bolt is not supposed to be there. The washer on the bolt that holds the housing together clamps a threaded u-bolt up against a washer with a notch out of it. That notched washer slides up and down on the metal cable tube, allowing the tension on the cable to be reduced, causing the free-play. I'm just wanting to see what is supposed to be there instead of the U-bolt.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        I have now chosen the next thing to tackle on my bike. Evidently, the PO did some kind of strange rigging to keep the throttle linkage in the hand-grip. Can anyone share an image of what this thing is SUPPOSED to look like? Right now, the throttle cable tube tends to slide up and down in the hand-grip housing, and gives a huge amount of free-play. I'm just curious how this was set up originally.
        Well here is a pic of mine. It's got some other bracket in there too, but I think it's basically stock, and no slop either.

Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The horse shoe shaped retainer isn't real tight on mine either, Since this is a single cable system the springs on the carbs are what return the throttle, and tha cable is a tension only setup. The freeplay is not because the cable tub is not held vice jaw tight in the housing. Mine moves easily.

I am not seeing a U bilt in your picture. could be that I am on my phone and dont have a 19" monitor.

The other pic has an extra bracket for a throttle lock, which isnt stock, but darn handy.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

That top washer, the one the tube goes thru, is supposed to be fixed to the tube itself. It's either pressed on or spot welded to the tube. If that washer is loose, you'll have all kinds of slop. If this is the case, new cable is inexpensive ($11.95 from DK).
            Last edited by bikerphil; 04-15-2009, 11:54 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              That top washer, the one the tube goes thru, is supposed to be fixed to the tube itself. It's either pressed on or spot welded to the tube. If that washer is loose, you'll have all kinds of slop. If this is the case, new cable is inexpensive ($11.95 from DK).
              That's what I wanted to hear. The washer just slides up and down on the tube, and the tube almost feels like it wants to fall out of the hand-grip. When I accellerate, the metal tube gets sucked back up inside the housing before any tension is added to the cable. So, I just need a new throttle cable.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Yep, new cable and you're good to go. I've had that happen to me too.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I went to the local dealer, to pick up a new cable, since I had a few bucks in my pocket. After looking online at Z1 and DennisKirk, I figured even the dealer would be less than $20 for it. They wanted $45 for this thing!! I told the guy he could keep it and rode away.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X